Tip-ratting .....Um I mean recycling...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sianelle, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

(Quick translation: what we Kiwis call a 'tip' you folk would call a 'dump')

Being on a disability pension makes me a woman of slender means and I don't have a great deal of money to spend on maintaining my primary means of transport ie: - the bicycle/tricycle. Come to that I don't really have a great deal of money to spend on anything so apart from teaching myself how to be successful at growing my own vegetables I spend a certain amount of time keeping a sharp eye out for what other folk throw away.
    This morning I was down at the tip (council recycling depot and transfer station) and to my utter surprise I discovered that somebody had thrown out well over 1000 brand new 6mm metric cap screws in very useful lengths. It was a no-brainer - on the back of my tricycle they went. Not far from the cap screws there was a paper bag full of high tensile metric hex head bolts and nuts too. I also found a mechanical speedo, cable and drive from a discarded exercise machine. These work just fine on bikes and the price of course was right :grin: I also found a useful sheet of plywood, and three sets of metal shelving - brand new - and fully knocked down which will just perfect for my workshop.
    Keeping this post safely in the motor-bicycle sphere I've also found such things as a nice Homelite weedwacker engine with good compression and no scratches on the cylinder walls. Steel tubing and angle section in useful sizes and lengths is another 'find' I depend on to complete my projects. Being a farming district quite a bit of agricultural equipment gets delivered in metal pallets made from really nice clean steel angle and tophat section steel, - almost always it gets dumped in the tip and I carry it off rejoicing. A great deal of my bicycle spares come from the tip too which means that about the only things I buy new are tyres and brake pads.
    As you can see my Hercules tricycle is not just a pretty lady, she works very hard for me. In case you're all wondering I can change over the usual wicker baskets for a tray type body and convert her into a tricycle truck or else I'd never be able to get a decent load home :grin:
    I can't believe what folk throw out sometimes and if it wasn't for the wastefulness of others I certainly couldn't manage as well as I do.

2. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Man I love digging throgh the scrap yard. It's amazing what people will throw away.

3. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I run one. I've got waay too much stuff.

4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

"Hard refuse" days.........a bonanza. :smile:

5. smitty

smitty Guest

Much to my chagrin, the local recycling yard is now closed to "pickin' ups" because some fool (as the story goes) tried to pull a volkswagen fame from the top of the pile....It landed on him. Now nobody can recycle/reuse from there. It alway seems that the rules are made to protect the boneheads from themselves. Personally, even though I may feel sorry for them, I think it's OK if they remove themselves from the gene pool.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  6. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Our local yard went through a 'hissy fit' stage too, but fortunately the staff have got to know me and they understand that I'm mainly looking for bicycle parts. They know too that I'm not likely to do anything daft which took a few visits to build up that level of trust. The various Mks and builds of my tricycles have always been a good talking point too.
    On a recent visit while dropping off garden waste to the composting plant the staff member on duty asked me, 'Going shopping after this love?'
    What he was asking me was if I was going to have a look at the scrap steel pile. :grin:

7. minibiker

minibiker Guest

i found my first project motorcycle "dumpster diving" when i was 8 my dad and i re built it all that was wrong in the first place was bad plugs and a gummed up carb

8. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Don't worry Norman they have to catch you first :grin:

Many years ago when I was living on Waiheke Island the local council tried to enforce a bylaw forbidding 'scavenging'. The response was several hundred people simply turned up at the tip one morning and started helping themselves and the only thing the council staff could do was stand by helplessly and let it happen. A wee spot of 'power to the people' in action :grin:

9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I encourage people to come to the junkyard where I work. I let them pick over the parts pile. When they ask "how much" for an item, I say, "$5 bucks, or nothing. Whatever you can afford or think it's worth." Complete, functional, name brand bikes I ask $25 for (unless I know someone who really needs one).
    I do keep them away from the steel pile, etc., where they could get hurt.

10. Egor

Egor Guest

In our town we have a large pick up day, and that is what I do, go out and pick up. My wife has a fit and thinks someone we know will see me. I think it would be a plus, to be known as the thrifty one. I got a complete Honda XR75. Have fun, Dave

PS: I love the English terms. Tip, Dust Bin, Knacker-d and the like.

11. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

I just worry that folk might not understand what I'm saying Dave :???:

12. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I have no problem understanding Brit / NZ slang, so keep it coming, Annie! I haven't heard you mention much about the Hercules lately on the Bicycle Restoration forum. How is it running? I love hearing your stories of your finds at the tip. Makes me envious! :smile:
    Cheers,
    -Chris

13. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

When school year ends, I put up flyers @ universities and colleges. You would not believe what rich kids throw away. Normally I take used PCs and laptops, refurbish and donate to folks in need. Now am thunking bikes and parts. Thanks Sainelle!

14. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Sianelle, my bad. Typed to fast and misspelled your name.

15. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Don't worry I forgive you :grin:

16. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Today's treasure

Here's something someone threw away today, It doesn't look like it's ever been on a bike. That bit of black near the front, that sort of looks in the picture like the material is torn, is the the dodad they used to hang it on a rack at the store.

Attached Files:

17. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Yer right, it doesn't look used. It's incredible what people throw away! :???:

18. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

i want alaskavans job!! you guys rock!

19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Today someone threw away a Honda 1,000W generator. When I pulled on the starter cord, the Low Oil light came on. I put some oil and gas in it and it cranked right up. The carb drips gas, but I've probably read enough posts about that to be able to deal with it. I haven't checked to see if the generator puts out juice. I kinda hope it doesn't, that's a 50cc 4-stroke in there. I'm sure I can find some use for it.

20. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Congratulations on your find :grin: That was a really great spot of luck. I found a Homelight engine that'd been tossed out and all that was wrong with it was that the flywheel had rubbed through the insulation on the magneto wire.