Tire Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by BonitaPanther, May 2, 2009.

1. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

I noticed that the sidewalls of the Panther are cracking and I am guessin' that it would be a good idea to change the tires.
    This is the 24" Whizzer.
    Any suggestions?

I read a thread about the solid tires here the other day but couldn't find it again while searching. I would like to know how good they work.

Are our tires any different than bicycle tires?
    Is something like this any good?

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_080W206787110001P?keyword=bicycle+tires#descriptionAnchor
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

2. mabman

mabman Member

3. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Thanks Mabman!
    I will check it out.

Steve

After checking...
    I couldn't find any sized 24 x 2.125 there, I am pretty sure that is the size I need.
    That is a good looking tire you pointed me to tho!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  4. mabman

mabman Member

The 2.3 will fit in there no problem, it is not that much wider and will give even more compliance via the extra volume but not interfere with your rolling resistance.

The bicycle tire industry goes by 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc. now but they are for the most part interchangeable in older style 2.125 bikes especially due to the extra clearances allowed. The pedal bike crowd wants lighter tires but the heavier tires are not a problem for your Whizzer, especially one with 24" wheels.

But if you want the old technology tires you might try Coker tire also? For performance I would go with the newer ones myself.

5. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Hmmmm... there doesn't seem to be much extra clearance at all on the back tire. the belt currently runs so close that going wider even that small amount seems like it might be a problem....

As far as style and such, as long as it is black and has good traction I am happy.

Thanks
    steve

6. mabman

mabman Member

In that case get one like this for the rear http://www.everybicycletire.com/Sho...lento-ii-hs-328a-reflective-sidewall-507.aspx
    A reflective sidewall is a nice touch also for street going tires.

It will be a bit narrower than your current tire but not much. I prefer a wider tire for the front if I can get it and there is no written rule that I know of that you need the same size/type of tires on your bike, unless you are going for the concours look that is. I do this more often than not actually on all my bikes.

7. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Thanks Mabman!
    A little narrower might be a good idea, from what Iw as reading here the ones that come with the bike seem to be a little to wide to begin with...

8. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY, TIRE-TALKERS:

I recently installed a Worksman heavy-duty coaster-brake rear wheel on Oscar, my 2005 NE-5. It has a chrome rim instead of the stock black rim, which I prefer.

I'll also be ordering a Worksman front wheel to match.

Would these chrome wheels look better with a Black tire instead of the stock Whitewalls as shown on this picture of Oscar?

Thanks...
    HAL

Attached Files:

9. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

how oscar might look with chrome rims...sweet!

Hey Hal!

I am sticking with all black on mine, it seems to go good with the design of the bike, on Oscar, I think the white walls look great and with the chrome rims it will be a real beauty!

Sorry I couldnt do a better job on the picture, the file was to small, but it will give you an idea of how clean looking it will be....

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

How'd you do dat?

Hal

11. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

:)
    I'm a photographer by trade Hal.
    I did that in PhotoShop, should I bring it back into PhotoShop and turn the white walls black?

Steve

12. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Yes, Steve...I'd like to see that effect. (with the bright rims)

Thanks...
    HAL

13. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

I'll see what I can do, check back in a couple of minutes.....

14. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

oscar in black shoes

Not the best, but if it helps you visualize how oscar would look, I'm happy!

Attached Files:

15. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

Just thought I would throw in a couple pix of the Panther from today...

Attached Files:

16. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY STEVE:

Those shots remind me of the days when I used to shoot Plus-X and Tri-X in my Nikon FM, and process them in D-76 and print 'em with my Vivitar Enlarger!

Thanks for the shot of Oscar in black shoes...I guess he looks classier in whites, so that'll save me the cost of 2 tires!

HAL

17. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

You were/ are a photographer also I take it?
    Nikon was my camera of choice too in the film days.

My pleasure tweaking Oscar's picture for you, I have been thinking about a new seat and one i like is made by cloud 9 but it says it is emerald. Black, green tan and chrome would be too much for me. When I switch it, it will be a black one, or one to match the bags....

18. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY STEVE:

I was (and still am) a photographer only as a hobby.

I learned darkroom techniques while serving in the US Army in 1960-62, during my off-duty time.

Those are beautiful saddlebags on your ride!

HAL

19. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

20. BonitaPanther

BonitaPanther Member

tire update

The bike shop owner refused to sell me tires!
    He inspected them, had his mechanic inspect them, the kids at the shop inspected them...and the verdict was they will last at least another season!!
    They recommended just using armor all to keep the rubber fed and flexible.

ya gotta love these shops that wont sell you stuff you dont need!

If I was a dealer I probably could have sold 5 Whizzers right then and there!