Tire skidding as I engage the engine.

gwoloshyn

Local time
6:39 AM
Engine is running great, except, when I release the clutch to start the engine my back tire skids really bad. Should I be releasing the clutch slower or maybe going faster before trying to start the engine?

Thanks

you probably want to go a little faster. Mine does this too if I'm leaning forward too much or not going fast enough. i try to run my bike up to around 10mph or so lean back a bit to get some weight over the rear and then pop the clutch to get her started.

you probably want to go a little faster. Mine does this too if I'm leaning forward too much or not going fast enough. i try to run my bike up to around 10mph or so lean back a bit to get some weight over the rear and then pop the clutch to get her started.

good advice. if that doesn't do the trick, and you feel that it's skidding way more than it should, it's possible the clutch is too tight. you can loosen the pressure plate nut a little.

I like to crank down with the pedal as I release the clutch. It goes smoother this way.
I have 15 hundred miles by now on my Happy Time and sometimes it still locks up every now and then when I release that clutch. I think it has something to do with the position of the crank when I release my clutch. But pushing down that crank gets it over that hurdle pretty well.

Are you trying to start your bike on dirt or clean pavement.
My initial start is so hard and tight it will stall the bike if I dont go faster than 14 mph, and peddle all the time until started, on clean dry pavement.
Then easy starts all day ling.

Another thought - when you start the motor are you relying on the clutch alone spinning the engine to get it going or are you giving it a squirt of throttle as well - that might cause the rear tyre to spin...

A method I have seen used on cyclemotors using the various flavours of Villiers engines and others is as follows.

ride from a standstill and get up to speed with the relevant settings (ie decompressor/clutch to out, mixture rich and so on)
drop the decompressor or engage the clutch at which point the engine should fire without any use of the throttle.
disengage the clutch and continue peddling for a short while until the engine gets a little heat in it.
re-engage clutch and ride as usual.

This has the advantage of not spinning your tire and, in a worst case, dumping you face first into the gravel. It also allows the engine to warm so you arent running off on a totally cold engine.

Jemma xx

Back