Tire Wiper for friction drive

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by steverg, Apr 8, 2009.

1. steverg

steverg New Member

I've been riding friction drive bikes for a while now and I've noticed that a lot of road grit sticks to my tires.

I've wondered if that is causing extra wear on the tire and drive spindle.

I'm considering placing a sponge, rag, brush or some kind of wiper that will sit on the tire and wipe it just before the tire meets the drive spindle.

Has anyone else heard of this or tried it or had any experience or thoughts on this? I searched and couldn't find any posts on it.

Thanks!

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Yeah, if you search some more you'll find mention of it buried in a thread somewhere where I once brought it up.

I thought of attaching a bristle brush or something to one of these
    Utility_bicycle_kickstand.jpg
    which by the way, support rack mounted bikes very well.

I've yet to do it however but if I did I wouldn't call it a "tire wiper". :devilish:

just kidding

3. steverg

steverg New Member

Hi, HV
    Thanks!
    Yes, I suspected part of my 'search' problem was that I had not hit on the right term.
    Tire Brush? Tire Bristle?
    How about:
    Tire Tender
    Wheel Wiper (my favorite)
    Spindle Sponge
    Bridgestone Bristle
    Kenda Kleaner

I'll take a closer look at it today and make a run at it and post something.
    My main concern is the the "brush" might get hung up in the spindle or engine or spokes or God knows what.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

that's exactly how a rubber tire wears down a steel roller.
    this might even dry the tire some, during wet conditions.

why not call it "wheel whiskers" ?
    or....
    "The Scrubber Scrubber" ? :grin5:

5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Wait.......how about.......Rubber Scrubber!

On drying the tire davo, do they make 12V blow dryers? :jester:

6. steverg

steverg New Member

I was thinking of routing the engine's exhaust onto the tire...

7. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

A side benefit might well be that such a device may dislodge a thorn or other random BEFORE the roller pressed it all the way into the tube to Flat City.

8. loquin

loquin Active Member

Sheldon Brown (RIP) talked about a wiper (on his tires discussion, I believe.) He mentioned that they're often made from broken spokes that are curved to fit the tire profile.

edit: He called them "Tire Savers" & said that they were of 'dubious value'

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  9. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Sheldon also does not think highly of them.

10. loquin

loquin Active Member

11. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

killjoys :^ P

The OP's idea was to brush away the sand & grit, to save wear on the drive roller.

I have tons of respect for Sheldon .....but he really wasn't into motored bikes

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  12. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

The problem I see is that the 'whatever' gets loaded up with grime&crud and ceases to its job,may be a counterrotating soft brush like device at about a 45degrees at the back could sling the crud up and away to the rear

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

thanks...another killjoy...... maybe regularly replacing the brushes would be on the 'things to do list' !!

14. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Yeah,
    I wouldn't want to get bogged down in another maintenance detail either. When I was on a friction drive, the road chaff really bugged me, being a neat freak and all. I'd come home after work and either have to wash the bike down or fix a spoke or two. It got old! Road grit on my shiny black Freddies and polished aluminum brakes and such just SCREAMED for a better way. A rubber deflector (mud flap) on each side of the roller perhaps?
    WC

15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

hey...regular maintenance is part of the game.

16. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

May be one of those shaggy paintrollers could be adapted,just a thought.,get your right brains going!

17. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

Attached to a generator for lights even, LOL

18. ozzmonaut

ozzmonaut New Member

friction drive tire brush

Hello, I kind of stumbled into this post searching for random friction drive info. I have a jc higgins bicycle with crafstman weedeater-style motor kit manufactured in the 60's and 70's just for the purpose of motorizing a bike. It mounts to the front fork and where a weedeater shaft would normally connectit has a clutch assembly with rubber-covered drive wheel. I was picking up a lot of road grip when I lived in richmond,va, so i used a metal bracket from a bicycle carrier mount. I screwed it to one of the engine support bars and to the other end of this small bracket I used two screws to attach a fingernail brush. It is easily adjustable, sits fairly unseen behind the motor just against the tire, makes no noise(at least a small enough amount that the engine drowns it out) and most importantly it removes about 99% of road grit. I attribute this more for the longevity of my drive and not as much for the tire itself. Anyway, just a small idea you might use as a foundation for your own "tire wiper".

19. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I've only rescently started with friction drives but this Tire Saver/Tire Wiper idea seems good....same principle as on a record turntable for removing dust.
    Pity they don't have a pic on that loosescrews.com website cos i'de like to see how durable it is & also it's setup.

20. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Sounds like an idea worth trying

Bandsaws often use brushes to clean the rubber tires so the blade tracks properly

http://www.woodline.com/p-1947-clean-sweepbandsaw-brush.aspx

My Inca bandsaw had a nice stiff brush that looked like the brushes used
    on a woodworking CNC router dust hood pickup or kinda like a brush door bottom sweep