Titan, made some improvments today

S

skyl4rk

Today I made a few improvements to my bike.

1. Throttle Jam Stick. This wedges the throttle and holds it in place. It is just a piece of shaped wood on a bolt that swivels around to jam between the throttle grip and the throttle housing. Its sort of like cruise control. Its nice not to need to hold the throttle. I can drive one handed. In fact, I figured out my bike does pretty good no handed. I rode over a mile without touching the handlebars.

2. Drive chain cover. I took an old plastic coffee can and cut it with a shears and drilled holes. It is held fast by the bolts that hold the gearbox to the motor. This cover is intended to save my fingers if for some reason I reach back to get something while riding.

3. Shut off switch. I got a 3 dollar horn switch at the hardware store and screwed it to the frame, and wired it so it grounds out the spark when you press the button.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Cool ideas.

I had a motorcycle once with a throttle lock. I didn't find it all that useful for cruising, unless maybe the terrain was very flat. But it was just the thing for warm-up idling.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• dscf7512.jpg
    dscf7512.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 293
  • dscf7513.jpg
    dscf7513.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 240
  • dscf7514.jpg
    dscf7514.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 258
  • dscf7515.jpg
    dscf7515.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 228
  • dscf7517.jpg
    dscf7517.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 261
  • dscf7519.jpg
    dscf7519.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 255
  • dscf7523.jpg
    dscf7523.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 299
The wood throttle jam is bolted through what was a killswitch on the throttle grip assembly. I never used it and just drilled through it.

It is nice to be able to set the throttle at a moderate cruising speed and just relax a little bit. Before the throttle jam, I usually was at full throttle or no throttle. The throttle turns really easy so it is hard to keep it adjusted where you want it when you ride over bumps. Its easier just to crank it all the way and hold it there. So the throttle jam makes my ride a little easier, more relaxed.

The killswitch is a piece of safety gear that I wanted to install long ago but never found the right switch. I happened across this horn switch at Tractor Supply and thought that looks just right. On the last pic you can see how I use bullet connectors to split the killwire three ways. One goes to the little red button on the back of the motor, one goes to the new killswitch mounted to the frame, and one goes to the led taillight, which is a 12V led automotive light, also from Tractor Supply. It lights up whenever the motor is on and does not cause any problems to the motor idle. I would like to find a front light as well, but I have a battery powered headlight on order so maybe I will not fool around with a killwire powered headlight. (until the battery dies anyway).

An led or light bulb connected directly to the killwire will kill the motor, so a resistor has to be added in line. I think a 1000 ohm resistor might do the trick but need to experiment.

The coffee can got a little warped when I fastened it down but maybe people won't recognize it as a part which was obtained from the trash can.

I added four more things:

bike computer, now i know how fast I am going
mirror
bottle cage for reserve fuel bottle
mini led light forward, not a real headlight but at least it gets me seen if I drive at night.
I'm pretty happy with how this bike is set up now. Just need a headlight and a freewheel sprocket on the rear wheel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• dscf7525.jpg
    dscf7525.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 486
  • dscf7527.jpg
    dscf7527.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 201
  • dscf7528.jpg
    dscf7528.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 198
  • dscf7529.jpg
    dscf7529.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 499
  • dscf7530.jpg
    dscf7530.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 226
Tank Report
0.282 gallons
$0.67 to fill tank
$2.389 gallon price

43.222 miles
17.7 mph avg speed
30.1 max speed

153.3 mpg

Not too bad!

I ran out of gas while rolling to the gas pump, so this is the capacity of the tank.

it looks like you can carry a one gallon red tank somewhere, very very nice

I'm thinking a springer fork might be in order, however this one is running good, maybe that will be a project for the next bike.

This bike can run all day, I went over 40 miles round trip into some real boondocks with no problems. The bike can run longer than my butt can. It is much nicer to ride at 20mph than at the top speed of 30mph.

Back