To all members serving: Merry Christmas!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stan4d, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I second that notion! Thank you for your service, and Merry Christmas!

3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

This was sent to me in an e-mail, and the author said I could pass it along, but at the same time he prefers to remain anonymous. However, let me say that he is a member of this forum.

"On Dec. 24, 1990 I awoke to a very cold day. Snow was on the ground.

That same Dec. 24, 1990 I went to sleep in a warmer area surrounded by sand.

That day was one of the strangest days of my life. It all seems a blur. We went from Bamberg Germany to the isolated camp in Saudi Arabia. That night a saxophone player from the unit band played Christmas songs for us in our tent. After he started no one said a word until the next morning. We could hear each other suffering with sudden fits of allergies, though. No one was going to admit to being scared, not even to ourselves. But we were . and we missed home.

There was no care packages or surprise cards from anyone, we deployed at the wrong time for that.

That is why I am writing this. In the upcoming weeks there will be calls for cards and things to be sent to the troops. I encourage all who wish to help to do so. But I also encourage everyone not worry about it being a holiday.

To that end I issue a challenge. Thank them continually. For New Year's choose a troop or a unit and support their morale with letters and whatever you can throughout the following year. Despite all promises, the reality is that they will be serving and putting their lives on the line for us throughout their tour of duty. I also wish to remind all that with the size of our military, not all are away from home on a far flung field of battle. There are many stationed stateside who are unable to make it home for extended periods of time. Their lives are on the line for us as well. Remember them also."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  4. marineabilly

marineabilly New Member

Not many people realize it, but stuff like this means a lot to Servicemembers. When I was a Marine Corps recruiter from 2001-2004, I always appreciated the "thank you's" while at the gas stations, stores, etc.

I'm currently serving in Afghanistan (re-enlisted over a week ago for another four years...taking me to the big 20) and I know it's going to be hard to be away from home especially for my younger Marines. This is my second Christmas while deployed to a combat zone, so I'm used to it.

We had a special A-list movie star visit us yesterday and you can see the photos with the christmas tree in the background...it was nice Christmas treat especially for the females:

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com

Thank you!!
    Semper Fidelis

5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Thank you all for you service. Marineabilly, you'll be glad in your later years that you went for the "20". I went for 26 and thank myself everyday for doing it. Pension and medical benefits are really worth it.

6. marineabilly

marineabilly New Member

Zev0, I know exactly what your talking about. I put my wife in charge of "our" finances and after some calculating, she stated that we couldn't retire after 20 without me having to work another job to offset the retirement. She said at 28 years, we can sit pretty happy. That said, once I reach my 20 in four years I'll reenlist another four and again for as long as the Marine Corps will keep me (30 years max). At 28 years of service, I'll only be 48 years old. Not bad for a days work...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays ALL and thank you all that have gone before us!

Cheers!

7. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Yep MB I know. Between my military pension and SS I pull in about 4200 a month. Not bad for an old soldier. Plus, like I said about the medical. I went into a hospital here for a local procedure, was in a 7AM and out at 3PM. 8 hours and got charged 27,000 dollars. Tri-care and medicare took care of it all. Plus I got a VA clinic about 2 miles away. So medical, I have no worries concerning anything.

8. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Merry Christmas to all our solders , here and in foreign countries , and to all of our vets, especially Vietnam vets..all have a honored place in our American History and deserve everything our people and government can give them and much, much more

9. azbill

azbill Active Member

thank you to all that are serving, or have served :)
    we live in "The Land Of The Free, Because Of The Brave"