Tolly hello and first bike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by t0lly, Sep 9, 2009.

1. t0lly

t0lly Member

Great forum here, has helped my first project greatly.
    The TollyFab MK2 MOD01
    I started with a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit. Bike is a Schwinn Skyliner. I had planned to use a Trek 820 but it was too small and need frame mods. I was skeptical when I ordered the kit, but it has me my expectations. I quickly threw this together a couple days ago and have some tweaking to do. I had t modify the intake and move carb to side to clear the frame. The bike has grip shifts on it, so i couldn't use the twist throttle. I robbed a thumb trottle off a mini atv I had in the shop. The Muffler would not clear the pedals so I cut it off and will relocate. After the first test ride I am hooked, these are a blast. I have a small metal fab shop and look forward to making some custom rides. So here is a sneak peek of my first one, more to follow.
    Video of the first test run;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnbqLxqlr8c
    [​IMG]

2. t0lly

t0lly Member

Well after the first run I found a list of things I wanted to change. So I tore the bike down and started modding.
    I did not like the stock clutch cable setup, it had a bad angle and set the cable against the engine.
    I made a bracket that set the cable higher and away from the engine case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I threw it together quick and already plan another version, but I will run this for a while.

3. t0lly

t0lly Member

The stock exhaust did not fit well so that was next on the list. I started by cutting up the exhaust manifold. I noticed the hole ID on the flange did not match the pipe ID. So free performance upgrade just opening up the flange a bit.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    It is not great but hopefully better.

4. t0lly

t0lly Member

On the exhaust I cut and rotated the tubing, added and extension, and then added a turnout on the end. This put the muffler along the centerline of the frame tube, away from the pedals. The turnout is to keep the hot gases off the tire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am not real happy with how it looks, more function over form.
    Do you think I need to add a support for the muffler?

5. t0lly

t0lly Member

Next on list was the chain tensioner in the kit. It did not mount parallel to the chain when mounted. I made a bracket and welded to the frame setting the tensioner wheel straight and solid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was late and I had a good buzz when I painted it, now I see the runs (DOH)

6. t0lly

t0lly Member

The stock intake would not work with this frame, as no room for the carb. When I first installed the kit I used some copper tubing and made a big mess. Round 2 on the intake. .5" EMT is a good fit, cheap, and readily available. I cut, rotated the stock peice, than added a section of tubing. Offsetting the carb and clearing frame and other parts. It is mounted nice and tight now. Will see if that long of an intake will affect performance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. t0lly

t0lly Member

The top bar of the frame is an triangular shape and the stock fuel tank doesn't fit very well. I made a bracket to raise it up a mount square. Added 5mm rubber shims between the mount and tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. t0lly

t0lly Member

On first ride the engine had shifted, then stock mounts need some help, plus the bottom tube on this frame is an odd shape and they do not conform well. I shaped the front engine mount with a grinder to match the frame contour, then welded tabs to the frame for a more secure mounting.

Made a muffler bracket, slotted holes for adjustment.
    [​IMG]

The cheap and bad fitting spark plug wire has to go. The boot is a plastic peice and doesn't fir worth a darn, it was screaming "I am going to fail soon". Autozone and Orielly had not universal plug boots or wire kits, so I bought a cheap wire set for 4 cyl car. Has 8mm wire and good boots. Easy as unscrewing the old wire from CDI box and insert new. I shaved the end of the 8mm wire to fit easier.
    [​IMG]

9. t0lly

t0lly Member

Finally got it back together, I been tinkering on this bike for day and half.
    I tidied up the wiring, tightened everything down, installed new fuel filter. Adjusted the float needle so it wouldn't pour fuel out of the air cleaner.
    [​IMG]
    Here she is ready for the road
    [​IMG]

10. t0lly

t0lly Member

Test ride results:
    Chain tensioner is working great, everything feels tight, low vibes.
    Carb is going to take some work to get dialed in. Cannot get to idle for more than 5 seconds. Acceleration is quick to 10 MPH, then drops off. Hard to find right throttle placement. Wide open bogs it down, about 1/3 throttle seems to be a sweet spot.
    Speed; 29 MPH steady on level ground, moderate incline 24MPH, steep hill it couldn't do it.
    I got up to 33MPH going down a hill and had to back it off.
    It may be the long intake causing the idle and throttle response issue. I will have to tune it a bit more before I am ready for the ride to work (15 miles).
    Overall I am very happy with it.

11. t0lly

t0lly Member

Last night I pulled the carb to troubleshoot my fuel/running problems.
    When I took the bowl off the brass tube with jet fell out. So I secured it back and adjusted the float to be up a bit more. I screwed the throttle slide back and tested the travel and noticed the slide was twisting in the barrel and sticking halfway. The guide pin that aligns the slide was no pressed in all the way. So I pressed the pin back, reassembled and went for a ride.
    At first there was not much improvement. Bogging down anything over ½ throttle, will not idle, could not get in the powerband. After 1 mile and dying trying to go up a hill, I turned around and like a switch it started going very well. I hit 30MPH in no time, I pushed to full throttle and it stayed on the pipe for over a mile slight incline, I also was able to get it to idle for more than 5 seconds. So I think I may have solved an issue and on my way to happy biking.

12. t0lly

t0lly Member

Just picked a start for the Mark 3
    here is a sneak peek;
    [​IMG]

13. t0lly

t0lly Member

Went on an extended test ride ~30 miles
    Bike performed wonderfully. I checked all bolts and connections, nothing was loose or broken from what I saw. Chain needed slight adjustment on tension. I didn't measure fuel usage yet, looked about 1/3 tank was used.
    So I am ready to start commuting on it and rack up some miles.

14. t0lly

t0lly Member

I am starting to think no one reads these forums

15. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Welcome to the forum. Nice build you got there.

16. roddy4477

roddy4477 Member

Very well photographed and explained I look forward to meeting you at the Awareness Ride next weekend.:helmet:

17. maltese guy

maltese guy Guest

welcome, and thanks for sharing usefull mods

18. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

I like your mods... I had a lot of the same issues when I built my nephews bike. Paint the whole thing flat black to match the spots and I think you've got something. With the mods you made I think the bike will look like its made for that engine.

xtra bonus point on the clutch cable bracket... they make a bent arm that helps a little but I like your mod better. Have you ever thought of making/selling those brackets. I'm sure somebody here would buy one or two... it would pay for the gas you use in the bike????

welcome to the site... people like you with ingenuity make this site what it has become. Thanks for sharing the mods.

19. t0lly

t0lly Member

Completed my first commute on the MK2 this morning. 15.3 miles took 45 minutes, max speed of 36MPH. It was a little chilly but a great ride. This has been the funnest project I have done in a long time. There is a certain satisfaction of riding something you built. I noticed I am going to fast for my little LED headlight, I might have to rig up something bigger.

20. t0lly

t0lly Member