Tom's Round the Country Road Trip!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tom, May 10, 2010.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

I've been planning this for a while, but haven't really told anyone. I'm currently living out of an RV in San Francisco, and I'm going to be doing a giant clockwise loop around the US for the next year or two.

I bought my rig a few months ago, and I've been prepping it for this trip ever since. It is set up so I don't have to stay in RV parks; I can literally just park on the sidewalk anywhere I want and be just fine. I've got solar panels which give me plenty of power, and I only need to dump/refill my tanks about once a week.

The plan is to visit and live in as many cities as I can. The only issue is that I don't know anybody in a lot of the places I plan to visit. If you are somewhere in my path, feel free to contact me if you want to show me around town or meet up for drinks or a ride (my bike doesn't have a motor... yet).

The current plan is to make my way up through Northern California, through Oregon and Washington, and end up in Vancouver sometime around July. Then I'll head east across the Northern US, and end up in Delaware in October for my cousin's wedding. From there I'll head south towards Florida for the winter, and then West across the South and land in LA, then return to SF after that.

Some of the cities that I plan on visiting are:
    - Portland, OR
    - Seattle, WA
    - Vancouver Canada
    - Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Chicago, IL
    - Cleavland, OH
    - Boston
    - NY
    - Baltimore
    - Atlanta
    - Pittsburgh
    - Philadelphia
    - Miami
    - New Orleans
    - Austin TX

It will take a year or two to do this, but I have all the time in the world.

I've started a Travel Blog if you want to follow where I'm at:

Let me know if you want to meet up, have any ideas or can share knowledge about places with me!

2. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

man its like you read my mind... my wife and I are doing pretty much the same thing, only for the summer not a year.

My goal is the Smithsonian.... and pretty much everything else we can squeeze in between. We dont have any solid plans, we want to stay flexible and plan our trip as we go. We are heading to the grand canyon first and will plan our next step from there...

I always wanted to see all the cool stuff that at the smithsonian, so I am taking the opportunity as it presents itself. We sold our rental house and are paying both cars off on Thursday.... that leaves us with NO DEBT!!!!!! WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

So now that the house and everything else is payed for we are going to pack up and head east.

We are taking our little guy teardrop and chevy silverado. I ordered a good camper shell for the truck and will be putting in the bed/storage and water system in a couple of weeks. We have solar power to charge the batteries long term, and propane powered hot water showers so we too can pretty much camp anywhere.... and still get 16 mpg.

good luck tom...

I will follow your blog and if we happen to be in the same place at the same time maybe we can get a drink or something... my treat.
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Dream trips, both of you.

On your route, Tom, do yourself a favor and stay away from the freeways going north to Vancouver. US 101 runs up the northern Cali, Oregon, and Washington coasts, usually within sight of the ocean. It's a great drive, especially if you can do the Olympic Peninsula loop in sunshine. My Mom and I drove from Newpost, Oregon to the northwestern most point you can get to by road on the Olympic Peninsula in October of 2006.

In august of 2008 I drove from Portland through Spokane to Coeur d'Alene, ID. From there I went to Glacier National Park, then southeast hitting state parks and national recreation areas/monument to Yellowstone, then Grand Tetons. then did the Grand Mesa National Scenic Byway southeast of Grand Junction. From there I went through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, then over to Telluride, then south to Cortez, CO and east to Mesa Verde.

From Mesa Verde I went east and over to Taos, NM, then north to Angel Fire, CO. From there I came home by back roads.

vtec, the trip to the Grand Canyon is great. Try to get to some of the less touristy overlooks. While you are in that general region, there are lots of other places tp visit. I highly reccomend Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Snow Canyon State Park in Utah, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park (really amazing),.

The whole southwest is full of incredible scenery. Stay off the freeways, don't hesitate to stop and take pictures or just admire the views. Eat in little hole in the wall diners in the small towns, not the national chain restaraunts on the highways.

Most of all, enjoy yourselves.
  4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Sounds like a great adventure Tom!

Do you prefer to make contact through the travel blog? I see Boston on your itinerary so you got a place here in western Mass. if you're interested.
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

I'm very excited to say the least. It will take a long time to get all the way around the country. Maybe a year or more?
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

If you get as far south as the Phoenix area, it wold be cool to get a chance to actually meet! Heck, if you go through AZ in the summer, we would jump at the chance to meet in Flagstaff!

Lots of places to visit here. The Grand Canyon, of course. Painted Desert/Petrified Forest national park. Meteor Crater. Monument Valley. Sedona is cool. Those are all in in the northern half of the state.
  7. Lot of city ordinances to ride thru keep a camcorder on ya descreetly record the LOE make it public I wish you a safe journey.
  8. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

All right this isnt fair everybodys packing up and heading out on roadtrips !!!!!!!

ME,i am about to use my WHOLE 2 weeks of VACATION (i used to have 3, new owner took over and cut eveybody to 2 weeks, welcome to the usa) on a trip back to Ireland, flying home in about 2 weeks and knowing my luck the airport in Dublin will be shut because of Volcanic Ash.......crazy........
  9. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Oh very nice indeed..The US has such a nice variety of areas from Mountains,deserts, coastlines You sir are very lucky indeed.
  10. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Tom, it goes without saying that once you hit my area I'd be happy to meet up with you. It would be reqally cool if you hit here in time for the East Coast Rally at Cape Henlopen in Delaware on Sept 18/19.

Vtec - same goes for you. If you hit the southeastern PA area I'd like to meet up with you. I used to volunteer at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum back in the mid 1990s (until the commute got to be too much). There is a huge amount of neat stuff to be seen at all the Smithsonian Institution sites.
  11. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

thanks kilroy...

you actually got to work there!!!! Thats unbelievably awesome.... I was hoping for a week. If I get that I will fell truly blessed. I think every American should make time to go at least once. Like a pilgrimage.
  12. Tom

Tom Active Member

AZ is definitely on my travel path. Might be a year out though. Never been to AZ (except for a layover) so I'm excited to check out the state!

Its very likely that I'll be over there around sep 18/19!!! I'm really excited!
  13. Cool log you have goin there....kinda reminds me of the dude that went to Antarctica to study penguines he shared even minute detales you should publish it when you are thru. Keep us posted not sure where I'll be might run into you several times if I'm truckin be honered to buy ya dinner if I am any time our paths cross.
  14. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Can you tell me about your solar panels? I'd love to get a 400-600 watt setup on my camper trailer which would allow me to to have to run the generator all day. Thanks!

PS Why not a stop in Denver? Its a motorized bike Mecca with all of the trails you can do.
  15. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

heres what i know about solar panels.$$$$,the rest is pretty easy.:)
  16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Here is an update on my trip:

Spent 5.5 weeks in SF. That city is freaking sweet.

Spent 1 week in Rohnert Park, CA (home of Sonoma State). Pretty quiet suburb.

Spent 1 week in Davis, CA and had a blast because my friends there are tons of fun.

Spent 1 weekend in Chico, CA. Lots of drinking and swimming. It was HOT (100+ and didn't drop below 80 at night)

Spent 1 night in the snow at Mt Shasta. I literally sat in the snow to finally cool my body down from the blazing heat of Chico.

Pictures and more details are all up at

Currently passing through Eugene, OR and headed up to Portland tomorrow. I'll be in Portland for ~2 weeks before heading up to Seattle.

Anyone in Portland or Seattle?