Too much stuff on handlebars.

jefuchs

Local time
2:15 AM
My bike has been ordered, but not yet shipped, but I'm already having trouble picturing how I'm going to mount the throttle and clutch controls.

I ordered a bike with hand brakes and multi speeds, but those bikes have their controls on the handlebar... in the same place the motor's controls will need to be mounted.

The shifting mechanism for the bike (Schwinn Southport) is not a lever. It's the throttle type design that mounts like a hand grip on the end of the bar -- just like the motor will have.

How have you guys dealt with this? Pics would be helpful.

The first thing is to get rid of the trigger shift on the right hand side, controlling the rear derailleur, replacing it with a Sram X9 grip shift; mounting it on the left hand side - this has many benefits. Next you should find an old Shimano SIS thumb shift to control the front derailleur and mount it next to the Sram X9 grip shift. The clutch lever goes next to it and the AirZound air horn is placed next to the clutch lever.

The right hand side is reserved for the throttle, brake lever, kill switch and a GPS mount

Your down tube allows fitment of twin Jaguar CDI's and twin coils

The seat post and/or seat can be used to attach a lithium battery pack to run high powered LED lights

There is plenty of space to fit everything as per your requirements, and if not you can always attach Minoura handle bar extensions to add more stuff, just like in the video of my bike on Youtube

I've searched for pics online, and it seems the clutch and brake on the left can coexist in peace. So all I really need to worry about is the throttle.

It might not even be a problem, once I actually have it in front of me. I'm just trying to visualize how this is going to work.

I did away with the front derailleur all together, I added a shift kit shortly after I built it so it was inevitable anyhow. Replaced the rear brake lever with a dual lever, an $8 or $10 accessory, that operates both front and rear brakes at the same time. (adjustment needs to be carefully maintained as to keep from emergency braking and throwing yourself over the handle bars). This removed the front brake lever from the left side which was replaced by the clutch. Moved the rear derailleur control from the right side to the left to accommodate the engine throttle.(this places the shifter orientation upside down but not like that matters, you can still shift) So the final layout was: clutch,rear derailleur controls(upside down),on the left handle......throttle and dual brake lever on the right side. It has worked well for me so far (@675 miles so far) however the the thought of the brake lever failing and losing both brakes has crossed my mind. Quick easy set up to get you running though.

Try a 7sp cheap sun shifter for a throttle, works great.

When considering a bike to use the controls are important to consider, to save money and aggravation. Won't tell you how I learned that secret.

The greatest benefit of running a shift kit, is the ability to run a quad front chain ring system, operated by the front derailleur, allowing you to have serious hill climbing ability and heavy haulage pulling power as well as good road speed in top gear - utilising the full scope of the shift kit; squeezing everything out of the design.

A dual pull brake lever takes care of things nicely, allowing one lever to operate both front and rear brakes.

Setting up your control ergonomics is very important - make sure your thumbs can easily operate "all" of your accessory controls, without moving your hands from the handlebars.

Back