Took the dog for a ride....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bluegoatwoods, Apr 19, 2008.

1. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

My daughter and I just took a ride that is probably worth sharing. We've rigged up a dog carrier. Worked pretty well. If he can enjoy riding, then he's gonna get out of the house more often. Everybody wins!

On a side note, we stopped for a break at the furthest point from home (probably 3 miles ) I knew that my tank was just about full. I told my daughter that she'd better check her fuel. She looked in the tank and said that she couldn't see anything. I looked and she was right. It looked to be bone dry. I figured it wasn't a big deal; I could always ride home and get her some more while she waited. But it wasn't necessary; the bike made it home anyway. There couldn't have been more than a sipfull of fuel in that tank. These things are very good on gas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008

2. NICE! My little wimpy dogs keep jumping out of my trailer. Those little buggers get spooked.
  3. bluegoatwoods

It's not hard, just gotta tie 'em down good.
  4. I should use rope and duct tape!
  5. bluegoatwoods

Thinking about it I probably should have taken close up photos of how to tie down your dog for bike riding. I'll do that the next time we take him out. It needs to be done right.
  6. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

hey blue how are the fumes back there? i have a dog that would love it but i am worried about the fumes?
  7. bluegoatwoods

Fumes is a good point. Being unable to ride back there, I can't say for sure.
    But when moving I'm thinking it can't be too bad. Opinions?

It is a matter that I ought to be careful with, after all.
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

I pull my 2 granddaughters around all the time
    I constantly ask if they smell gas or anything funny
    they are very vocal and haven't said anything about it yet :D
  9. ya know some people LOVE the smell of two-stroke smoke...
  10. starkm32

starkm32 Member

Kewl, blue! Like your doggie carriage!

Care ta post the plans for the carrier?

I 4 1 would appreciate being able to carry my 10 year old (chubber) of a Goldie around with my bike. The maltese I can virtually put in a carry bag! HE LOVES IT!

Fumes. Hmmmm.

Oh, well. Use my 'lectric.
  11. eljefino

eljefino Member

A lot of times those tanks look dry through the fill hole but are slanted back and have plenty of gas by the petcock, yours looks like no exception.
  12. bluegoatwoods

To elfjefino, I'll bet you've got the right explanation.

To sideshow, "If it's broke and you're broke, use weird stuff to fix it" is an excellent motto.
    "If you want it and you're broke, use weird stuff to make it" fits me perfectly.

That's why I'm an MB'er.
  13. bluegoatwoods

To starkm32, thanks. I'm afraid I have no plans for the trailer. What that is is one of those trailers that you see people pulling their children around in. They're covered in colorful, nylon fabric. I bought that (musta been) ten years ago. The kids outgrew it and the fabric deteriorated in the sun and weather. So I cut the fabric away and and I fastened boards to the bottom to make a floor. Then I used these things that were almost like milk crates to make the walls. I simply cut them into segments so that I could spread them out to the corners of the trailer and screwed them down. Makes an excellent cargo trailer.

When it comes right down to it, I think a trailer is nearly a must if you plan on doing any serious riding. Being able to carry the stuff you'll want with you makes things so much more pleasant. I even pull it around on a pedal bike and I'm happy to do it. After all, exercise is what I'm looking for.

That one cost me a little over $100.00 when I bought it. I just bough another one yesterday (more riders, more trailers) for $85.00. That's less than one tank of gas for my pickup truck, so they'll pay for themselves quickly.
  14. starkm32

starkm32 Member

Thanks 4 the info, blue.

Wondering how you keep the pooch in, hopping out (in traffic) might be a bit unnerving.
  15. bluegoatwoods

I tie him down. two straps for tying down motorcycles and stuff like that. criss-cross through the collar to the four corners of the trailer. He has enough slack to sit up comfortably, but not enough to raise his shoulders high enough to get out.
  16. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Duke sings Roger Miller's "King of the Road" when he rides with me.

Attached Files:

17. bluegoatwoods

Yeah, it looks like Duke has got a pretty good thing going.
  18. starkm32

starkm32 Member

Does the Duke have a bra on his tank!
  19. akyramoto

akyramoto Member

very cool. i'm building a trailer right now for my dogs.

is it hard to get started? my whizzer is kinda hard to pedal as it is & I'm afraid if I put a trailer on it I wont be able to pedal fast enough to get the motor going.

good times with the puppies!!
  20. bluegoatwoods

Well, for me there's little difference in effort to start it up. Maybe things are different with a Whizzer. But I doubt it; the inertia that makes it a bit more difficult to start pedalling will also help you with starting the engine, I suppose.

A trailer has another advantage; you can carry most anything you might want with you without worrying about your carrying space running short.