Top Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's what i call a "believable" and also an honest account of what really happened on the day.

I hope other people on here choose to be as accurate with their descriptions of top speed, i.e. recollections of speed that prove (on closer examination) to be gravity and wind assisted !!!

(Do not bother about Fabian :) he never runs over 12:42 mph)

Even if my bike is strapped to the undercarriage of an F-15 flying at Mach 2, it still never runs over 12.42 mph (as per motorised bicycle regulations) and we all know, the speedo doesn't lie when "Department of Motor Vehicle" inspectors are looking my way, which is "all the time".

You're really not allowed to go over 12.42 mph even on private land or where off road motorcycles are permitted? I thought the laws in the UK were bad..... :cry:

Is not it a great feeling to go 40 mph on a bicycle :) , but the biggest problem with high top speed on a bicycle, I think, is rims and wheel bearings (most of bikes have not good wheels), the brakes does not feel as a big problem for my own safety

Rims? like them crumpling/potato chipping if you hit a bump?

On the odd occasion max350 rolls in a different realm, but no matter how hard you try, physics in the real world applies it's Newtonian force in bone crushing manner when safety considerations are thrown out the window with low specification wheels and brakes.

You're really not allowed to go over 12.42 mph even on private land or where off road motorcycles are permitted? I thought the laws in the UK were bad..... :cry:

Private land falls under a different set of rules, but you never ride on private land because most journeys happen on "public" land, and on public land, the laws in my location state that a motorized bicycle cannot travel faster than 12.42 mph, and it must be 12.42 mph """with""" pedal assist, otherwise it becomes a motor vehicle and is subject to "all" the requirements of a motor vehicle.
It works out to around $3,000 worth of fines if the bike is caught travelling over 12.42 mph and the police carefully go through the specifications of my motorized bicycle.

For that reason, i am very, very careful at how i ride my bike.

If you think the laws are bad in the UK, just come down to Australia to see how draconian our laws and moronic rules and regulations are.

Rims? like them crumpling/potato chipping if you hit a bump?
I've had more problems with spokes than the rim itself. once you lose a spoke or 3 rim damage is inevitable. I've been lucky so far with 12s in the rear and 14s up front, but I haven't ridden over a pothole with that combo yet. anything smaller than 12s in the back is asking for trouble but I've found that a little bit of flex up front can improve ride quality on rigid suspension bikes. don't take that as fact though, I don't want to be held accountable if it proves to be dangerous.

of course you don't want to cheap out on rims, I've had spokes just rip out of cheap rims before, on both motorized and push bikes.

Fabian;377552the laws in my location state that a motorized bicycle cannot travel faster than 12.42 mph said:
"""with"""[/B] pedal assist, otherwise it becomes a motor vehicle and is subject to "all" the requirements of a motor vehicle.
It works out to around $3,000 worth of fines if the bike is caught travelling over 12.42 mph

Lucky dog.. my bike can only do 6.21Mph according to the local laws (and that is all mine ever does) Heck I have been known to roll down the odd hill at over 46.23mph (74.4 kph).. no engine, not even peddling mostly squinting tears out of my eyes and hanging on for grim death. Really those speeds are not all that bad even with our notoriously potty roads hitting a nice hole gives the hands a good belt and feels like the seat is trying to invade me but otherwise "safe"* enough.
I wish I could find a copy of the local paper where a "Lycra dude" was clocked on our major bridge doing over 55mph (90kph) sparked about 5 minutes of outrage.. Those dammed shorts should be illegal to my mind.. :devilish:
I'm glad you said it Fabian cause I was beginning to think I would have to say it. :whistle:

* I wear those Denim look alike Kevlar pants, a heavy jacket, elbow pads under the jacket (to avoid looking a total dork) and a motorcycle rated half helmet and a set of gloves I should possibly upgrade. Yes there is danger in what I do, but there is danger in everything. I do what I do with an acceptance of the risk and always try to minimize the risk to other people. (mostly by not being a **** around others, engine or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back