Torq-a-verter Build (need advice)

V

vyzhion

Hello all-

I am in the process of planning a torq-a-verter build. I am afraid I don't know too much about custom fabrication or engines for that matter. What I want to know is would something like what I am going to describe be plausible. Any advice is welcome.

What I want to do is mount a kawasaki 3 hp engine http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...+3+4+x2+3+4+keyed+shaft+LOS+Recoil+Start+BT62
with a TAV2 torq-a-verter http://www.gokartsupply.com/tavapp.htm on some manner of cruiser bicycle (likely a schwinn skyliner cuz it has a big frame and rides really smooth) with a 56 tooth sprocket. This engine is roughly the same size as the Honda gx50 that is being used with the skyhawk stage 2 kits. It is about 2" wider but otherwise about the same size. The shaft would fit the 3/4" TAV2 setup. I believe this would work if I could bend out the pedals a bit more. The only thing I am uncertain about is the dimensions of the tav2. I have looked and looked but none of the spec sheets give overall dimensions.

So, any thoughts? This is still in the planning stages but something I would like to try when I get my Christmas bonus money later this year. Is there anything that I am missing? Any advice on doing this? I welcome any comments or nudges in the right direction. THanks! :)

:cool:Vy, with what information you've posted previously, in my opinion i would not try this install if i were not skilled in fabbing or working on engines. right now, i'm in the midst of installing my "twins" on an old cruiser bike. it is a true test of one's patience and skills, especially with limited time and tools.

my advice would be to choose a simple engine installation on a simple bike. for my first project, i chose the STATON friction drive with 35cc ROBIN 4-stroke engine. it cost a bit more than the chinese happy time engine kit, but bolts onto almost any bike with ease.

also noted that the combination of engine and TAV2 is very heavy, over 40lbs. the HONDA GX50 is 13lbs, and the GRUBEE gearbox MIGHT be 10 lbs.

what i'm saying is to stick to a tried-and-proven installation. it'll be easier and cheaper on you.

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. the warning about shipping limitations due to weight concerns caught my eye. I started with a Staton friction w/43cc Mitsu. It was easy to assemble and I've had a summer of fun with it. I have a full auto shop at my disposal, and still feel like it has taken me this much time reading, studying, and daydreaming, to really get an idea of what may, or may not be practical and fit my needs. And while I work on building that, I still have a bike to cruise.

Back