torquing head bolts without a torque wrench

Yeshua

Local time
11:05 PM
Hello I'm getting a 66/80cc flying horse in the mail in a few days and I purchased theBB tuning engine replacement studs and was wondering how you torque the head studs without a torque wrench?

many auto parts stores will loan you a torque wrench for free (autozone is one place)

125-150 inch pounds you will need to tighten the head in a star pattern to prevent warping the cylinder head

or 10 to 12 foot/lbs if that is how wrench is marked

a clicker will work, if everything is good, but I prefer a beam type wrench in case threads are bad

torque measurements are given in inch or foot pounds. so 11 foot pounds of torque ==> 11lbs worth of force perpendicular to the tool shaft (in direction of rotation) applied 1 foot distance from the point of rotation. you may or may not be able to approximate this close enough by hand & intuition, depending how familiar you are w/ weights & forces, but thinking about how the measurement works like this may help

the studs should go in hand tight and then backed off half a turn, and the nuts should go on hand tight and then cranked down a full turn. if it's not sealing, crank it down another half a turn

torque measurements are fairly useless, clamping force is what you're really looking for. torque ratings can be skewed by things like rust or dirt in the threads, damage to the threads, an overly tight or loose fit between the male and female parts of the threads. basically anything that's not a perfectly clean, new, lubricated and in-tolerance bolt will give you skewed readings.

Last edited:
the studs should go in hand tight and then backed off half a turn, and the nuts should go on hand tight and then cranked down a full turn. if it's not sealing, crank it down another half a turn

torque measurements are fairly useless, clamping force is what you're really looking for. torque ratings can be skewed by things like rust or dirt in the threads, damage to the threads, an overly tight or loose fit between the male and female parts of the threads. basically anything that's not a perfectly clean, new, lubricated and in-tolerance bolt will give you skewed readings.
Yeah I'll. Try that. I plan on using lock tight. How often will I have to readjust the bolts if I use blue locktight?

Back