torquing head bolts without a torque wrench

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Yeshua, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Yeshua

Yeshua New Member

Hello I'm getting a 66/80cc flying horse in the mail in a few days and I purchased theBB tuning engine replacement studs and was wondering how you torque the head studs without a torque wrench?

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

many auto parts stores will loan you a torque wrench for free (autozone is one place)

3. Yeshua

Yeshua New Member

Interesting thanks. How do you use a torque wrench?

4. Yeshua

Yeshua New Member

5. 125-150 inch pounds you will need to tighten the head in a star pattern to prevent warping the cylinder head

6. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

or 10 to 12 foot/lbs if that is how wrench is marked

a clicker will work, if everything is good, but I prefer a beam type wrench in case threads are bad

7. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

I've never had a torque wrench i just tighten it good ,check them often.

8. Nate888

Nate888 Member

torque measurements are given in inch or foot pounds. so 11 foot pounds of torque ==> 11lbs worth of force perpendicular to the tool shaft (in direction of rotation) applied 1 foot distance from the point of rotation. you may or may not be able to approximate this close enough by hand & intuition, depending how familiar you are w/ weights & forces, but thinking about how the measurement works like this may help

9. butre

butre Well-Known Member

the studs should go in hand tight and then backed off half a turn, and the nuts should go on hand tight and then cranked down a full turn. if it's not sealing, crank it down another half a turn

torque measurements are fairly useless, clamping force is what you're really looking for. torque ratings can be skewed by things like rust or dirt in the threads, damage to the threads, an overly tight or loose fit between the male and female parts of the threads. basically anything that's not a perfectly clean, new, lubricated and in-tolerance bolt will give you skewed readings.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. Yeshua

Yeshua New Member

Yeah I'll. Try that. I plan on using lock tight. How often will I have to readjust the bolts if I use blue locktight?

11. butre

butre Well-Known Member

loctite the studs into the case, but don't use loctite on the nuts. that's a good way to drive a stud through the case. with just crush washers and good hardware I never have to adjust my head bolts

12. Yeshua

Yeshua New Member

How do you remove the original crap bolts without stripping or breaking off the head?

13. Yeshua

Yeshua New Member

14. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

Stud kit hahah just go to a diy store it will cost half that and no shipping!

15. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

never bust a stud yet, (well, ok, i did once but that was a loooong time ago and it was half corroded with rust anyway) never bothered with a torque wrench except at TAFE when i had to, or on certain high performance engines. mainly because if you overdo the torque, the extra load imposed by the engine actually running is what causes the failure.

these things? just tighten em up in the standard "cross" pattern, a bit at a time, and once it takes some effort to get a few degrees of turn from each nut...stop.

sheesh, i seen people use torque wrenches on a DRUMKIT! now thats wanking yourself, fo sho... you TUNE drums, you dont just tighten them to a set tension... cripes...

Nate888 likes this.
  16. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Remove the acorn nuts, pull off the cylinder head (may be stuck on with paint but will come off with a good pull or even prise it off with a large screwdriver on the fin if you have to), and pull the cylinder off too so you can clean up the nasty edges of the ports, then screw two open nuts onto the first stud and tighten them together, unscrew the stud by turning the lower nut, repeat on the other three. :)