Total Noob, researching before I buy a motor.

jasnjules

Local time
9:18 PM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Jason. I live in northwest IL. A few weeks ago I was walking with my family when I heard faint buzzing noise. It got louder and it faintly looked like a bicycle. Sure enough, he zoomed by and I suddenly wanted to know more. I started searching on the internet and was happy to find motors for bikes. They guy I saw went by fast enough that I couldn't tell if it was a newer bike or an motorized antique. I didn't really know what I saw.

Last week I was at the store and I saw him riding through the parking lot. I yelled, he looked and I begged him to come over. He did, we had a great conversation and I knew that I wanted to get a motorized bicycle.

I've ridden a 1000 cc motorcycle for years, but now want to have a bit of fun on something different. I'm not a speed freak and just want something to putts around in. My town is only 6,000 people and I live on the edge of town so traffic free rural backroads are everywhere.

I'm finding this forum very informative. I figure I'll get as informed as I can so that I have the best chance of doing it right the first time.

Thanks for all of your posts and I look forward to learning a lot from you. I don't even have a bike that will work so my hunt begins.

I like the old style look with the handlebars bend down, the seat low set etc but I'm considering any good bike/setup.

I'm looking to

1) find a decent bike frame that has strong rims/spokes to handle the torque. I would like to get an old bike or a newer beach cruiser.

2) get info about companies that sell kits so that I get the best chance of getting the best kit for the money. (with four young kids I don't have a lot of spare cash so I'm looking to build on the cheap)

3) find any tips and details that will help me learn more.

4) make friends with quality people.

I work for a small gear shop so I'm also looking for ideas for modifications that I can do myself etc.

All the best.

Jason

Hi Jason -

Welcome to the forum. Everyone is always delighted to meet someone new with similar interests and willing to learn. This site has hours and hours of reading available while the bride and younger ones are occupied elsewhere.

You will probably re-discover a few new friends... Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, and experiences repeated from history past.

Will talk at you more later!

MikeJ

Welcome... I was where you are last year. I've worked on all types of engines all or just about all my life. So the engine wasn't a brainier. Here is a brand new Cruiser I built for a friend. Bike came from China Mart (WalMart). With the cost of $100.00 for the bike, $157.00 for the engine and a few mods, we had $300.00 in it. I made my first Cruiser for less then $200.00.

after having a frame crack and fail after just a couple hundred miles, I went with a Worksman bike-- 11 ga spokes, drum brake in front, and it's got a decent "vintage" look to it. I got mine through Pirate Cycles because the price with all of the upgrades was very competitive (black rims, kevlar tires, smaller pedal sprocket to accommodate the engine). But you can order a baseline Worksman straight from the factory for about $300 (with ala carte upgrades)

If your in the market for a 2 stroke engine. I would recommend checking out:
http://www.rocksolidengines.com.au/
It's in austraila, but the guy builds the engines in his shop. Comes with better bearings and balanced parts, better metal, plus it's already ported and polished, better carb etc. It's a quality engine, and I think it's only about $200 dollars. When ya buy a 'China Girl' kit your mostly just paying for the engine, EVERYTHING else is junk. It will work for awhile, but will break (just my experence) My advice is to spend a couple of extra dollars and make it a fun reliable ride.
Have fun, and ride safe

i own 2 bikes and build 4 the 2 that i own is a old 72 firestone cruser and a 2005 next bike had the next for the last 4 yrs and its the best bike i own have well over 6000 miles and lol just when i think it has lost compreession it gets up and runs got to love mbing

thanks Slugman. Makes me wish I'd have known about them when I lived in Brisbane and the U.S. dollar was strong against the Aussie $, would have brought a couple back with me. Certainly worth considering the better quality. Does anyone know of someone in the U.S. doing similar work? Shipping from Australia is pricey too.

Hi Jason -

Here is a thought..... If you want to engage the little ones in your family, check out a site called affordablegokarts.com. They have a minibike called a Doodlebug. Maybe that will be useful to teach your little ones how machines need TLC if they are to be useful. With a cheap Harbor Freight engine, good brakes, and guidance from you, I bet they would have a blast while you build your personal motorbike.

Just thinking how I appreciated the teachings my father passed on to me.....

looks like fun. A friend of mine when I was in gradeschool had a minibike like that. we had a lot of fun on it. thanks for the tip

Back