Trailer hitch idea

s_beaudry

Local time
9:10 PM
Working on building my 2nd push trailer and came up with an idea for attaching it to the bicycle.

Wanting more of a stealthy look to it, I was thinking of running two bars (angle iron) to a vertical 5/8" stud on the front of the trailer and sandwiching the bars between two 5/8" bearings so it would turn very easily and have no friction.

Built a quick setup of the idea (see the pics) and attached it to a bike and tried it. Even with the two bearings sandwiched in there, it still seems to not be able to turn easily as my last seat post hitch.

Going back to attaching it to the seat post, but thought I would post the pics here if anyone would like to try this or improve upon this idea.

05-07-09_1315.jpg

05-07-09_1316.jpg

05-08-09_1051.jpg

05-08-09_1050.jpg

05-08-09_1052.jpg

There will be a lot of strain on that bolt... I think it would be stronger if the bolt was shorter.... since all of the force is running perpendicular to the bolt.

I was going to start making a new hitch from an old mercedes driveshaft.
A driveshaft u-joint has less slop than my current hitch.

I want to push on the rear axle instead of the seatpost.

I was thinking of the straain on that bolt, if I did go with this idea I definately would have lowered it down some on the 5/8" stud.

Hummmmmm, just had a brainstorm here, I bet a 5/8" pillow block bearing riding on that would show aloot less friction then the sandwiched bearings would....

Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking of the straain on that bolt, if I did go with this idea I definately would have lowered it down some on the 5/8" stud.

Hummmmmm, just had a brainstorm here, I bet a 5/8" pillow block bearing riding on that would show aloot less friction then the sandwiched bearings would....

Any thoughts on this?
I would add supports that are u-bolted to the seat stay tubes....which would take alot of the stress.

A pillow bearing would work much better IMO

Back