Trailmate Meteor & Gas Power

I think you will have a good rig when finished. Put a tarp down on your kitchen floor & assemble it while under A/C !

My little bundle of joy arrived today in the form of a Yellow shrouded Suberu and shiney Staton gear box! Here's the plan: since my wife has gone out of town for a week, I'll throw several plastic painting dropcloths that I have on the TV Room floor, wheel the beast around to the French Doors off the pool, roll it in, and get to work. I'll let Y'all know how things are going...K?

Hi there, all. 1) I was hoping to have some detailed prog notes and pics on this project by now. But, alas, the day I got my new engine and gear box from Oklahoma, my wife called from NC to say she had managed to fall down a flight of stairs and sprain her ankle...it was now the size of a baseball but not broken. She was heading home with my brother-in-law and the grand kids.

The next morning, the guys from work called to say they were toting my daughter to the hospital with food poisoning. I made it over to the ER just in time to watch a nurse hook up an IV...you can guess the rest of the treatmrnt for food poisoning.<yuk> By late afternomn, she was feeling well enough that they would let me drive her home.

That night, I came down with 'Lord-Only-Knows.' No, my dog didn't die, and they didn't reposses my pick-up truck...altho this does sound like the first draft of the lyrics to a pretty bad country song,<g> it is, unfortunately, all true.

Hopefully, the next prog note on this project will have some substance and pics. Pray for me. I'm gittin' 'er done, but slowly.

Hi there, all. I'm back on my feet and Doctor says I can resume work. Since I believe in detailed prog notes:

Prog Note 2) I wrapped the frame where the clamps and braces contact with plumber's black foam rubber insulation tape to both protect the finish and dampen vibration. I covered that with black vinyl tape to help protect it from getting torn up.

In the afternoon, I mounted the engine ("attached the engine" would be a better way of saying that, I guess.<g>) I replaced the bolts supplied with ones a half inch longer and in grade 8 stainless. The salty air tends to knock out regular bolts pretty quick. Plus, I added a one inch stainless collar to them so the bottom mounting plate would snug up at a little better angle. It turned out to be perfect. The Staton custom made braces managed to mount/clamp straight forward to the frame without a hitch. I used stainless steel clamps all around, too.

Next is the axle sprocket, freewheel, and drive chain. I don't have far to go, but the doctor says I've had enough for today so I have to suspend operations.

I do have pictures, but I will send those along in a subsequent post...hopefully by tonight. God Bless all for letting me paricipate.

Prog Note 3) Pics -- In the 'Spacer' pic, I hope that all can see how the 1 inch spacers give the bottom plate a much better angle to clamp the frame than they would have had without them.

I think the other 3 pics should need no explanation. Just remember...it is a work in progress.<g>

Attachments

• Added Spacers.JPG
    Added Spacers.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Mount1.JPG
    Mount1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 668
  • Mount2.jpg
    Mount2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 726
  • Mount3.JPG
    Mount3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 633
  • Mount4.JPG
    Mount4.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 643
Looks like a real sweet build I'm looking forward to see it completed. I'm glad you and your family are alive haha. Keep posting pics!

Thank you, Dan. I've run into a few hitches in the final stages. For one, I found that the back plate of the aircleaner had been broken in transit, but Dave Staton is sending me a new one from Oklahoma. But, those should be ironed out this week. Most of the delays are due to my health, but I'm "gittin' 'er done." It's still in the TV room, and my wife and I have nightly 'discussions' about it. <g> But, there is just no way I'm gonna work on it outside at 95 degrees or tote it in and out continually. So, I guess I'm gonna just keep plugging away, and hoping for the best.

I got my parts from Oklahoma and have the carb re-installed. I could load it with gas and oil; Then roll it out to fire it up. But, then it would be giving off gas and oil fumes, and I wouldn't be able to roll it back into the TV Room. So, I'm gonna wait til I get the starter and drive chain, as good as I can before taking it out for the Maiden Voyage.Sound like a plan?

It sounds like your project is rolling along quite nicely. Soon enough you will be putt-putt-putt-ing along nicely too.

I hope to do more than 'putt-putting', altho I realize that is just an expression...I hope to be 'zooming' at the least.<G> And I still have an 18 tooth main drive gear to swap for the standard 14 tooth...the diff. between four teeth seems to be a 5 mph jump from 25 +\- to 30 +\- mph. I'll stick to the lower number teeth til I git these old bones used to the motorating. Then, I might kick 'er up a little.

Back