tranny prob w/04 cavalier

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by machiasmort, Nov 2, 2008.

1. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Hey guy's while seriously off topic, I need help here.

I've got an 04 cavalier/stick shift. Clutch resevior went mysteriously dry after having tires put on it. My best mechanical knowledge tells me it's the slave cylinder as no visible signs of leaks are present.

Cylinder is currently holding fluid but the old stuff had to go somewhere.

Making things worse, I think the motor might have to be pulled inorder to get at the cylinder! Intellegent engineering! :)

Any help or advice is appreciated. I cna't find anything on the net about pulling this tranny or motor, yet alone fixing the problem

Some of my thoughts
    a)remove fender and cut frame to get at tranny
    b)powersteering leak sealer (bleed line dry and put a drop or two in, wait a few hrs) and repressurize w/clutch fluid

Thanks guy's!

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I'm no authority on this, but I would definitely NOT cut your frame.

Why don't you go to an auto parts store and pick up a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual?
    It'll tell you for sure whether you need to remove the tranny (probably).

I buy one for every car or truck I own. they always pay for themselves. Usually pretty quick.

3. kerf

kerf Guest

Take it to someone with a rack for a good look see. I had a Cav once and some maintenance required the rear engine support to be removed (car on rack, jack under rear of engine). This allows the engine to the tilted back to allow access. Good idea about the book, lets you know what your dealing with.

4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

If there are no visible signs of a leak, then maybe you just need to top off the fluid level as the level will drop as the clutch wears. The only other explanation is that the garage that worked on your car messed with it so you'd be back. When slave cylinders go bad, they generally make a mess and make shifting difficult/impossible. I would be hesitant to put any sort of "leak sealer" in anything but a "junker" where you had nothing to lose.

5. kerf

kerf Guest

arceeguy, fluid could have been pulled into a climate change induced, mini black hole vortex. Happened to a bottle of JD I had last weekend.

6. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

So THAT'S WHERE the motor oil was going in that old Honda Civic!

7. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Sometimes a leak of the mastercylinder can occur where brake fluid gets inside the car behind the carpets, so things ostensibly look OK.If you refill the reservoir and bleed the system,does the clutch operate? Can fluid leak into the clutch housing?.It's going somewhere.

8. machiasmort

All of you Guy's have given me great advice. Thanks a million!

- I've got a haynes manual!!! Priceless!
    - Fluid seems to have vanished in thin air??? I pulled the rug away from the inside (dry as bone), nothing under car, even jacked it up and stuck my finger in the inspection hole near the starter (nothing)!

- topped off the fluid and level is holding steady. I can see slight depletion as the clutch wears but not the whole reservior! I checked it 2 days prior to getting tires. I had brakes put on.
    "The only other explanation is that the garage that worked on your car messed with it so you'd be back". I'm begining to wonder Acreeguy??? The car wasn't out of my sight long at all tho.
    "When slave cylinders go bad, they generally make a mess and make shifting difficult/impossible". I appreciate you sharring your experience. Most of mine is body work on high end European cars Ferrari, BWM, Benz, Jag ect. Ask me about glues, paint ect, I'm the King! Transmissions scare me a little! The slave in question is internally mounted in the housing. Like you said and I agree, there should be a mess inside the housing (like a squirt bottle). My finger came out of the inspection hole dry.

I would be hesitant to put any sort of "leak sealer" in anything but a "junker" where you had nothing to lose. I would use this only as a last resort. I would remove line to internal slave, suck out old DOT3 fluid and spray in Power Steering sealer to coat the internal rubber parts. I would then suck out the residual sealer and repressure the line with DOT3. Wondering if you've heard of any reaction between the two (DOT3 and PS sealer)? My fear is if the slave does go that fluid will contact the clutch and friction plates causing slipping. I can't believe the lack of knowledge on this transmission in this thing. Even the professionals (dealer) know nothing... It's a Getrag tranny made in Germany, thier claim to fame was in Porsche's

JD and me, I've always thought it to be osmosis.

Thanks a Million Guy's! I'll keep you posted!

Oh- Tech tip: That pair of old sneakers you el-cheapiano's keep tryin different glues on that never hold!!! Try Lock-Tite 2 part epoxy for concrete and Metal available in a syringe at Home Depot ($5.00)... I've never seen anything hold like this stuff!

-By the way H-D also has a killer $99 Dremel package on sale includes dremel, flexshaft,depth holder,yard tool sharpener and planer attachments!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

While I am not a big conspiracy theorist, I do have an inherent distrust of most auto mechanics. I worked as a auto tech a long time ago (I have an expired ASE Master Tech cert. LOL), and the way most shops are set up is sort of a co-op. The techs work on a small base salary, and earn a percentage of any work above and beyond tire changes and rotations. This is the reason why you get a laundry list of items that need to be replaced when you rotate your tires. (Hey, your struts are shot. Brakes are shot. CV joint boots torn, etc) They grab the "low hanging" fruit that makes them a quick buck, they get lazy and don't want to do the big jobs like head gaskets. I have known unscrupulous techs to score belts and hoses with a razor, to speed up their eventual failure. These people should be locked up, but there is little proof of their dirty deeds. The shop owner doesn't care because the more work the techs do, the more money he makes too.

Ever since that short stint as an auto tech, I do all maintenance and repairs on my cars. From oil changes to transmission overhauls. I've often paid more to do it myself because of the specialized tools involved, but my repairs often last the remaining life of the vehicle. Besides, how many people can say they rebuilt the transmission of their car?

Whenever I have used "leak sealer in a can", it will slow or stop the leak by swelling the rubber seals a little, but the benefits are short lived as the chemical that swells the seals evaporates and ALL the seals and gaskets shrink, then crack and oil pours out of every orifice in your engine. This is why I don't use oil for "high mileage" engines, as your engine will leak like a sieve if you stop using them. (It's addictive, like crack for your engine lol) Putting it in your clutch hydraulic system may damage your master cylinder, proceed with caution.

10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

conspiracy --- most times not

conspiracy --- most times not

it is a proven fact though
    take 10 men and 10 women with the exact same problem
    send them to the same shops for repair quotes

or even regarding new car prices

OUTCOME IS VERY INTERESTING

JUST REMEMBERED -- every time my wife goes in for an oil change
    they want to sell her an air filter
    change her tranny fulid -- these guys are punks

ride that thing

11. kerf

kerf Guest

I went for an oil change once, came home with a time share. Don't really know what happened.

12. machiasmort

Acreeguy,

Makes alot of sense. I've got a 2yr in auto Mech., no ASE Certs. tho. Master ASE, now thats somthing to be proud of.

I appreciate, once again, your detailed knowledge. For people like us (on this board), that little bit of extra understanding goes along way as we are smart enough to apply it to other aspects of life.

I'm worried about the tranny in this thing because other posts I've read. Similar happenings (empty reservior refill) then total failure! Could this have been done by the kid trying to shift W/O using the clutch? I got it to bleed last night.

Mt. Man I read that post about your father. Only stands to reason why your so well versed on legalization.