TREK 4500/ GEBE w/ GP460 build

yes, you have the example exactly. and you will see that what you describe is just what kerf did.

kerf claims enough noise reduction to hear his chain system over the engine till 25 mph, and repackable in his variation.

very nice unit, i fi ever decide to give up my pipe (not likely) i'll do the same.

steve

muffler

running any type of extension will rob horse power, I have the x-can with 2 outlets, I added 2- 6 in peices of silicon tubing, cut down a lot of the noise and deflected the exhaust away from the bike, great I thought but I lost 6 mph, kerfs bike tops out at 45 mph, I think due to the exhaust ext.

Kerf won't run his over 46 (11K), may go more, will never know. I'm a weenie, what can I say.

The point I was making was about exhaust extensions, mine wound not go past 46 with the extensions on. Your not a weenie just a little more carefull then some of us! I have gone 201 mph on a motorcycle, most people think I am nuts doing that and they r probable right.

Kerf won't run his over 46 (11K), may go more, will never know. I'm a weenie, what can I say.

kerf you ain't a weenie. you're a thinker and having found what you want, are satisfied.

this is a characteristic of experience and maturity based judgement, a good thing.

i've been running in the 45mph range now that i'm past the break in drudge and i'm begining to see what some here were telling me when i first started talking 50+mph as a daily target.

as a power sport nut i LIKE playing with speed, but there is a threshold of reason with a bicycle under power on public roads.

now, where is the nearest 5 mile long closed course ?!?

steve

Heh. . . I Am Hoping For Long Term Cruising At 45 Mph. I Would Think A LWB recumbent Is A Bit More Stable At Speed. I Do Get A Bit Spooked At That Speed Though.

I don't believe that is possible or advisable. The r460 will be running at or close to WOT resulting in reduced engine life. Bicycle components (brakes, bearings, tires)are not designed for those sustained speeds. A short run to 45 or even 50 is fun but for those cruising speeds get a motorcycle.

The above statement is the opinion of the author and in no way reflects the opinion or ideas of the rest of the world.

you are correct about the longer wheelbase, tho...even if it's not a bent. a bit more rake than normal is a good idea, too.

from what i've learned about single-speed motoring, in the civilian world, i think you have to set your target cruising speed then take it backwards to an engine/ratio that gets you there at 75% throttle max. i also believe that 40mph is about as extreme a speed as one should consider, tho i only officially advocate the 30mph federal standard on the road...and be sure to build that bike right!

i have never met the rest of the world, but i should say they might not agree with me either, i was expessing opinion.

Last edited:
Most likely I will be going more like 35 ... what I did not like about my Tanaka32cc was that when the cars that are around me are doing 35-40, I am maxing out at about 32 and people would go around me, sometimes still in the same lane crowding me out. Gets kind of scary. It seems a lot of you guys have back country roads to ride on and whatnot... I am here in Los Angeles area and there are cars everywhere. The extra speed keeps me safer I think.

Back