Trek 4500 / GP460 now twin belt jackshaft

DetonatorTuning

Local time
8:38 PM
well i'm off and running.

the Staton inside drive parts and wheel left for their new home today. the money is in my buisness account and taking paypal hits from parts suppliers.

i'm going to relate and reveal as much of this build as i can without giving it completely away, i think there may be room for me and this configuration in the market place so i'll be pursuing copy right and patent (sp) paths before a full unveiling.

i've owned and run 2 real fine pieces of MB equipment and looked very close at a few more. some of the very best configuration concepts are already being provided and more importantly protected from being used in the same fashion.

it's going to be rack mount, have dual forward torgue straps and be very stable in the side to side aspect. that alone might be interesting to some who've had difficulty in that area.

the upper and lower pulley centerlines are going to be the same distance thus just one size belt for both positions and a simple tensioner approach. i'm working on a belt pitch and width model not presently offered that should offer good tracking, be capable of no pedal starts and have good wear characteristics.

the mock up / prototype atleast moves on it's own in fairly primitive material and workmanship. the first production level setup is going to have a pretty brutal life, however long it is. i fully intend to break it ,and in as many ways as i can ,so that the faults are known and delt with before anyone else gets ahold of one, if they ever do.

i should have my new wheel, jackshaft pieces and a final configuration rack all in or built by this time next week. the pulleys may take a week longer, depends on the shops present activity.

thanks for looking at my thread,
steve

Last edited:
hi steve,

can't wait to see the finished product, if its up to the standard of your previous builds am sure the setup will be top notch....

ME i just got my trike finished today... am so HAPPY !!!!!!!

thanks VP,

i'm not sure very many are going to be all that impressed.

this design is super utilitarian, no cool swooping lines, no extensive area to promote neat paint.

just a very simple, light, self aligning platform to mount choices of CC rotating engines on and drive thru a jackshaft reduction to a pulley on a disk brake hub.

glad to hear that you got the trike all sorted, it's going to be a real nice ride !!

steve

kerf,

things are going almost too fast right now. it's crazy sometimes how things fall together when the "fullness of time " has arrived.

today i blundered into a pair of VERY good disk mount wheels AND found that i can eliminate a piece of pulley mounting hardware that i tought was going to be needed and was going to add some extra expense.

i'm old enough now to just blandly go about amassing info and sources then just let things perk like "cowboy coffee"

i bought, rigged two working configurations of and sold the Staton inside drive to have something to ride and to keep my hands busy while i was auto-cad 3Ding my own layout and building up the mockup/ prototype.

i have a list of "celebrities" that are going to be offered a sneak preview and asked for a "concept critique"

stay tuned,
steve

well things are still moving along but i needed to reconfigure slightly. when i got all my pieces together in the materials I THOUGHT i wanted i realized i had OVER ENGINEERED in a couple places and would pay too great a price in weight and energy losses.

it's OK, the main configuration is fine, just some tweeking to reduce mass/ weight and make the whole thing more compact.

steve

terrance,

thanks for the interest and support.

it's not as easy as one may think to pull this off. i'd bet Pablo, Ghost, Dax and others could tell many tales of struggle and frustration trying to do something AND bring it to market.

if it was just a matter of satisfying myself i'd be riding it already, but the established kits are SO good that it puts the bar pretty high.

steve

Fella's

it's been awhile since i updated the belt/ jackshaft build, i can now, though it's not what i nor others hoped.

it's a workable idea though VERY painstaking to get the critical measurements to work with even custom made to order pulleys and stock HTD belts.

this design is dead and done. all i can say is a real and heartfelt SORRY if you were amoung the people who contacted me or commented here with interest and support.

the main problem is that every bike is just diff enough to mean that each one would have to be built on a strictly one-off basis. the current design is NOT production friendly at all.

i've had to eat all my prototype and parts expences and turn aside from my hopes for this project.

i am, for my own reasons, turning away from the whole single speed / engine assist arrangement and have begun work on a shifter setup using my GP460 for power. i can do this in my state as a motorized bicycle (scooter) with even fewer regulations than mopeds.

with the gearing i've worked out, i'll have the ability to take off from a dead stop under engine power alone and accell. VERY FAST to a max of 36mph in the lowest gear. then i'll have the remaining 7 gears for speed , terrain and economy. with a theoretic topspeed of 70mph in high, though the reality may be more like 60mph. we'll see.

i'm going to use some of my work bonus for the remaining parts i need and hope to be done by Jan. 1st.

again, thanks to all that backed my effort to bring out another belt system with intersted support. it might be something for a later date.

right now i really need to get riding again and in as inexpensive fashion as possible.

i guess this means there's going to be yet another multi-page DetonatorTuning thread coming your way :shifty2:

steve

Last edited:
OK well..........................................................................................................

the amount of response to my last post probably shows how comfortable and insightful you guys have become with me. i can be painfully slow with things and then at a twitch make a move or decision out of the blue.

it seems that giving up on the belt/ jackshaft was one of those nec. times where you just need to say "that's it, i just can't reconcile this " so that your brain will disingage from the negative before you and become open to something else. somewhere on the forum is a post where i encouraged someone that if they stare at what's not working they may miss the answer right next to it. maybe I should have been listening instead of talking right then !! WHAT A BUMPKIN eh!?!

any how, there is actual hope for this design and i have come up with a couple simple modifications that make it not just easier to assemble and mount but adaptive to more bikes.

one of my problems was trying to do something that would work on any possible bike, presently i just can't accomplish that but there are still ALOT of bikes that this design WILL work on though there is a limiting factor.

my Trek has those little bored ears just above and behind the rear axle (on the dropout plates ) that are usually used to mount fender stays. i drilled mine out to 1/4" and used that location as the mount point for the bottom of the rack uprights. ANY bike that has these or ANY builder that has the ability to fab something up like them on a bike that doesn't have them can CONCIEVABLY mount and use this design. i'll be looking into some alternatives here as well.

my daughter has returned safely from Mali, Africa so there is less tension and more positive energy in the house now ,so i'm going back to work with this.

it could be spring before i have something proven to share, but i'll be on forum daily to see what everyone else is doing, since most of my stuff isn't all that original but mostly "integrated"

thanks for riding along....................
steve

Back