trike and mower motor

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by Evil_Genious13, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Evil_Genious13

Evil_Genious13 New Member

I have a nice folding tricycle, and a 5HP lawnmower just sitting in my garage. I want to mount the motor on the back but im struggling with how to connect the vertical shaft of the motor to the rear axle of the tricycle. initially I would like to put as little money into this as possible and once i have ridden it around maybe add gears. thanks for all your help and suggestions.

2. professor

professor Active Member

First, these vertical engines need that blade to act as a flywheel, without it- you will rip the start cord or your hand as the engine back fires. Some of these engines do have a heavy flywheel (cast iron) when they are used for something else.
    Second, you will need some kind of gearbox to transmit the power to horizontal, then be able to gear it down- maybe belt drive to the wheel with a large pulley (another wheel hoop maybe ? attached to the rim.
    The above is why nobody here has done it (as far as I know).

I have 2 bikes, each with an engine in the frame.
    See if you can swap that motor for a horizontal and begin there.
    A trike should be easy- lots of room.
  3. Evil_Genious13

Evil_Genious13 New Member

What if i tried to set up some type of worm drive off the vertical shaft of the motor??
  4. professor

professor Active Member

Sure that would work. But first you need to see if the motor will start and run without a blade on it. The worm drive needs to be pretty robust.
  5. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Evil_Genious13, your name wouldn't happen to be Mike would it? And would you happen to be from Lebanon PA?
  6. SunkyWorks

SunkyWorks Member

Hi Evil_Genious

Examples that might help:

homemade pitbike

When he starts the motor, the wheel is turning. This should help with the loss of flywheel without the blade.
    Or swap out the aluminum flywheel for a cast iron one used on the horizontal motor.

Bicycle with lawn mower engine

Motorized Bike Walkthrough Vernon Hundley

None are mine.

Driving the sidewall would allow better use of dirt tires.

The sidewalls of moped, motorcycle or auto spare tire would be thicker and should work better.

Saw a video of a guy using a boat roller for a variable speed drive.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013