Triker69 coming aboard...

triker69

Local time
10:35 PM
Hey boys & girls! As the handle suggests I'm into Trikes. Last summer I found a 1970 Miami Sun Trike in a garage I was cleaning out. The owner said "take whatever you want" - so I did. It has an obsolete 12volt front friction drive.

Pretty neat setup, you squeeze a brake-type lever that both closes the 12v power switch and applies the drive roller to the tire at the same time.
Other than getting it running with a 35ahr battery/charger & a storage box on back for beer runs I haven't done much to it yet. I'll post pic's soon.

My plan is to remove the old front drive and do a 4-stroke 50cc gas rear drive using a series 30 torque converter, a rear coaster brake hub as a jack shaft and rear disc brake. As well I want to upgrade to a springer front fork with an internal drum brake setup.

I've read tons of threads on the 'trike' forum, learned alot, and plan on hanging out there 'till she's done.

About me: I live on Lakie Erie, am disabled, don't drive anymore, am a retired electrician from Ford and am really looking forward to planning this project to the teeth with you folks!

Also, I'm going to document everything including the original sweetheart before disassembly.

One question I have right now for you ratio experts is regarding my ratio setup using the 'ratiocalc' found on this site.

Ok, the torque converter begins on the low end at 2.68:1 with a 10 tooth sprocket output that chains to the jack-shaft hub 44 tooth sprocket (4.40:1).
The other side of the jack-shaft is a 20 tooth sprocket that chains to the axels 44 tooth sprocket (2.20:1). This bike has 24" wheels.

This results in a beginning drive ratio of 26.4:1 and a theoretic speed of 6 mph when not engaged. At the top end the torque convertor is 1:1 with a possible 10% overdrive (0.9:1). Or 26 mph & 29.5 mph respectively.
My concern; is the 26.4:1 going to be too low? I've read here that ideally it should be 67.5:1 to be able to never have to pedal (my disability...)

My thoughts are that considering slip and all of the other variables, I should be fine. Pls weigh in & set me straight folks :unsure:

Many thanks - Chris

Welcome to MBc, Chris. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies'. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under 'Introduce Yourself' has 20 or so links to "How To." threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky # 3 has info on forums, how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. But, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. If you are still stumped, post a question in the proper Forum.

Have you gone over the thread of my Trike build? It is on the first page of our Trike Forum at "Trailmate Meteor and Gas Power." I think you might learn a lot from reading the whole thread, but the summary with lots of pics of the build in in my post #47. If you scroll down a little, The Gearing is explained in my post #47. The Meteor has 21 pedal gear combination, but, of course that only translates to about 14 if you shift correctly. As far as I know, the Meteor and the Sun motorize about the same. Good Luck.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Back