Trivia.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GearNut, Aug 18, 2010.

1. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

What is it, and what is it for?

Attached Files:

2. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

well.........if it isn't a test pattern to calibrate some kind of a crt display, I would like to phone a friend. Oh carp, I don't have any. :ack2:

3. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Yup! I am curious as to how many other folks recognize it, especially the younger crowd. :)

4. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Really.....dang, I'm good. :rolleyes7: Just guessed from the old test patterns from tv in the 50's. :ack2: I'm old

5. kerf

kerf Guest

Yeah, every kid from the 50's should recognize that. No 24 hour TV back then, when you get up early Saturday morning and turn the TV on before they went on air, that's what you saw.

Gee whiz, The Lone Ranger, Sky King, Roy Rogers, all the great old cartoons, all without PC overtones. My greatest concern was, do I want Bosco in my milk this morning. Things have sure gotten complicated, I find myself going back to that place more often now. Guess we had our devils back then too but somehow they didn't seem so close.

6. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Have seen that too many Saturday mornings..... And to think today's kids never seen a Black and White TV, a Typewriter, the day there wasn't a remote control....oh those days. I'm so thankful that I have lived in the best of times, don't care what anyone says. It's downhill from here.

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

You sound like Cato.

8. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

That was an old friend of mine! It was on TV every night. That was back when we used to WATCH The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Gunsmoke & Sky King...on the radio.

Terry

9. kerf

kerf Guest

I remember going with my dad to pickup our first TV, an RCA B&W console. About every other week, he would pull the back off and head to the local Pak-A-Sak with a hand full of tubes. They had a tube tester and a pretty good stock of tubes, for what we now would call a convenience store.

Ah for the days of the rabbit ears, of course with aluminum foil on the antenna ends.

10. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Shoot, I remember watching tv and the picture tube was round.

11. a/c man

a/c man Member

In the summer we would stay up every night till they played the Star Spangled
    Banner around 1:30 am. Then all 3 tv stations that we got would go off the air until morning.

12. I remember when the first appliance dealer in town started selling GE TVs. He put one in a showroom window with a speaker outside and a small set of bleachers. All us kids would sit on the bleachers to watch Howdy Doody, our dads watched baseball and the Friday night fights. His gimmick sold tons of TVs when the weather turned cold.

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Yup, test pattern. Don't forget the tone signal.:detective:

Our local Dairy Queen had a B&W TV facing the parking lot. It was like a drive-in movie at night!

When I wa in the third grade I was a walking TV directory. I could tell you what was playing at any time on any day on all THREE tv stations.

Of course there weren't THAT many programs on tv. lol

14. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I was ten when we got our first color TV (a giant Zenith console), our Betamax had a wired remote, and my dad wired the house for music from our stereo (complete with a four speed turntable) using home-made speakers and components. I remember my dad having to climb the aerial "tower" to fix the antenna as we never had cable.

and we canned food. and one of my chores was carding wool for my mom so she could spin it into yarn (seriously).

15. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

my great-grandmother had that kind of TV. She was 94 when she died in 1977.

I had to get the digital converter box a couple years ago because I refuse to get cable and I refuse to get a new TV until this one dies (a 19" tube TV I got about 8 years ago)

16. Zev0

Zev0 Member

And I remember my Dad coming home one day and saying, now we are going to have color TV. He then taped a piece of colored plastic over the screen. It was blue on top, kinda red in the middle and green on the bottom. Colored TV, WOW!!!! LOL

17. kerf

kerf Guest

Man, to watch Sky King again, Saturday morning, on that old B&W. Momma in the kitchen cooking breakfast, dad puttering around the garage. This was true happiness. Even then, I remember looking at that Clinton on dads lawn mower and my 24" cruiser and wondering, could it work?

18. kerf

kerf Guest

It just struck me, in another thread, the OP ask were there any young people here, we seemed like old farts to him. Maybe there is a disproportionate number of mature men here because we were all raised with an imagination, a sense of wonder. With all the technology around these days, is society losing something?

Didn't mean to go off topic, just brought on by reminiscing, I guess.

19. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Dang Kerfie. You put another year under your belt and you get all mild and mellow on us. No more rebel?

20. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I am old enough to be an old fart to some of the members here too. Not nearly as seasoned as you though kerf.

In a way I think that technology is substituting itself for childhood imagination and a sense of wonder. When I was a kid I was quite happy digging holes in the dirt, playing with sticks and rocks and making leaf boats in the stream, racing them against my friends. Nowadays if it is not digital, my daughter looses interest in a couple of minutes.
    Now she is begging me for a lap top computer. At her age I felt lucky to have a digital wrist watch. It was a fancy one with an alarm and a stopwatch function!
    The times, they are a changing....