trouble shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by retrophoto, Jan 4, 2008.

1. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

What is really needed now is a trouble shooting list. Too bad I cant find a list of symptoms and the probably cause and cure. It would sure save me a lot of problems and you guys a lot of head aches.

For instance.

engine turned over on first attempt to start today.... (I ran it for the first time two days ago.. it ran about four miles then I brought it home worked fine except for vibrations...) then then today while trying to start seemed to seize up.

when the clutch is out it doesn't seem to turn over. Actually at the moment I cant turn the wheel by hand with the clutch out. I have the cover off and the chain looks fine. There is slack in the chain so I don't think it is binding externally.

bike does roll and the chain does move fine with the clutch engaged. I read the posts on the stuck chains doesn't seem to be that but what do i know.

Engine does seem to be locked up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008

2. nopedlenhere

nopedlenhere Guest

Well get out the tools..Did you put two stroke mix in the gas?? did it smoke??Some of the new mix does not smoke..Is the flywheel hitting anything.Pull the spark plug. two strokes are simple..just lay things on the order you removed them..Theres lots of good help here...bill
  3. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

yes i mixed the fuel 20 to 1 and it is blue in color and smoked like a mother.

I pulled the plug and that didn't do anything I don't think

So should I pull the head?

I wonder where is the best place to look first.

Actually I'm giving some thought to just selling it as is for parts. Of course if there is something really easy to do I'll do that first.
  4. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

I removed the spark plug and was able to turn the wheel with a heck of a lot of effort. The piston seems to be moving but its very hard to move. I wonder if I could just pour an ounce of oil in the spark plug hole and let it sit over night. Maybe it would loosen up the piston. Anybody got a clue?...
  5. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

I removed the plug and the engine will turn over if I turn the rear wheel but it is very very hard to do. The chain moves and the gear on the side must be moving too. It is just so hard that it seems not to be right. I did check the chain and it is free and moving. with the clutch in the bike moves the chain just fine.

Also the piston goes up and down. It is just a fight to get it to move. I don't remember it being this hard during the rolling test.

Should I take a look at the ignition anyway
  6. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

What i dont understand is that it turned over fine the first try to start today and did all day yesterday but it won't really turn over when i pop the clutch now. the piston is moving though very hard to turn. that probably accounts for why it won't turn over not enough torque from peddling.

No o ring I just coated it with grease on the outside to seal the air gap.
  7. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

oh **** I don.t have any idea how to take this thing apart. And then get it back together again. I think i will just leave it alone for a couple of days and pray for a miracle..

It also doesnt seem to make any difference if the plug is in or not to the difficulty of turning the engine.

Is there some easy way just to go in and look
  8. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

okay tomorrow's project...
  9. G man

G man New Member

tuning your motor

Hi i was just reading your problems i may be able to help . If you are running your mix at 20 ;1 its to rich and will smoke hard lean it out to 28;1 or 32;1 make sure your circlip on the needle of your carb is on the top slot which would be the leansts setting mabey you have to much fuel going in and that whats giving you a compression lock up ?
  10. professor

professor Active Member

If you can turn the engine over without the plug in and it is hard to do, something mechanical is bound up.
    With the clutch cover off- if there is back lash (free play) in the transmission (big gear)- with the back wheel off the ground (thus putting no load on the trans output shaft. The problem is the engine part of the unit.
    If the engine gear has lash, something is bound in the trans. part of the assembly.