Engine Trouble Troubleshooting help needed after the first 30-40 minutes of riding a new ebay motor

Although many people have had good luck with the "RT" carb I have not. If you have a stock NT carb put it on, if not buy one, they are like $10.00 on EBay and are IMHO much easier to work with and tune. And they have a needle and clip.

it seems that needle thing is sitting almost flush down in there but I would think it should stick out just alittle for the round knob that gets turned to increase the idle higher or lower but when I turn the dial it does not touch the needle thing. Im wondering if thats normal. If I should explain further let me know. Otherwise im condunsed now

I have had good luck with this "RT" carb for a good 4-5 months without any need to adjust but I thought it was a needle so is it or isn't it? Now I think its not so getting it back together is the only thing now but im having a hard time. The spring usually has plastic grooves where is usually sits and stays but the plastic on mine will no longer let it stay. Are there any videos for assembly of this "RT" carb?

The idle adjust screw only touches the slide (that rectangular thing that slides up and down in the carb). It's not supposed to touch the tube (that needle thing)

I finally got the carb back together again. whew! It took a few tries but I finally put the puzzle back together, lol. So it was not the needle issue afterall. I thought the clip in the needle came off and thats what caused the small pop pop sound because the needle was stuck jammed to the bottom or something. So something else has caused this. Now to figure out just what. I will check the crank seals but I doubt thats the problem because they are not even 1 hour old but I will check. Any other suggestions?

Is it possible that the pop pop and stop could be caused by the fuel oil mixture? This is the first time this engine has ran and I am sure the there was only about 25:1 rather than the suggested 16:1 for the break in period but would this be possible to have caused the pop pop and stop? I got a new bottom end for another issue I was having and I already had a mixture of 25:1 in the tank.

Last edited:
I changed the gas and tried to start it but it will not start. I pedalled it and tried a few times and it acts like it wants to start but doesn't.

I just checked for spark and im not getting any!!!!!!!! Im hoping thats all it is but after check the wiring and the connectors, everything seems connected properly but still not getting spark. I checked the actual spark plug and thats not it either. Im thinking maybe its the CDI. I have 2 more and will check that next

read on the board here about checking the mag coil with a multimeter

luckly sooner than later I was bright enough to check for spark and narrowed it down to the coil. I changed it and the bike is running again. Always check for spark if its something you don't have a clue about!!! Any specific (or list of specific) possibilities it could have been that the coil went bad after less than an hour of use on it and the pop pop sound once the coil gave out?

Back