trying to build a tricycle

cjren

Local time
9:28 AM
this winter im hoping to build a motorized tricycle but dont reeally know what i need other than a tricycle and a motor.
any help would be reaally nice.
i saw a moped on craigslist for 50$ and was hoping i could just take everything off there and put it on the tricycle but im sure its not that simple.

PLEASE HELP

if you type trike into the search request it will give you plenty of builds for you to look at, and ideas to get started,from homemade to retrofits just search, search....search.

oh and by the way welcome aboard

well to start off you are going to need to figure out you are going to use your engine to drive your axle, if i was you i would look at this crazy build for ideas, how to use engine to move bike.....might be a squeeze getting that size of engine behind the rear seat.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12502

basically same sort of principles, same sort of engine driving an axle to propel yourself along. This build uses a belt drive or you could use chain drive, just keep searching..

Last edited:
well i look at the bikes people made and i see like 6 chains running in all different ways.
i dont really understand, maybe this is too complicated. i havent yet bought the engine so smaller is possible but id like to fo 30-40mph with me on it but still be able to pedal to.
ive never really built anything to mechanically challenging but i didnt think this would be too hard to do.

im worried about pretty much the whole thing. theres alot here i can mess up.

my question for now is where do i start? so i get an engine then what?

ok cjren,

what you are trying to build isnt for the faint harded, you have to decide wether you want chain drive, belt drive etc then you have to work out sproket sizes etc, i like to build as well but i have stuck with the kits readily available from the various vendors.

The way i see it i could try and do some homemade tinkering, but my metalworking skills are little if next to nothing, welding etc, out of my league, most of the guys who do homemade kits build amazing rigs and one thing they have in common, they have decent fabricating, welding, metalworking skills,

If you want to build without blowing the bank try a happytime kit similar to the build you just visited, i was going to post a link to the electric/ht chopper,

You should have no problem working with this engine, the problems you will have is engine fit on that trike you looked at.

Ok so i think your happy with the happy time (2 stroke engine) hundreds of builds here and a ton of advise if you need it, check out thats dax website and you will find a excellent step by step walk threw of how to install the kit, U Tube is full of builds as well,

The biggest problem is trying to find a trike to put it on, yes a conversion trike kit could work for you, but bike size will be a factor, if you check out the rolling pics on the banner you will see a 26inch three wheeler with happy time installed.

thanks alot for your guys help!
http://www.staton-inc.com/images/4. 3185 .JPG
thats what i want to do but is it possible without a gearbox with a different engine, 600$ is a lot out of my price range.
the only difference in what i was hoping to build and that is the engine would be more where the little bucket thing is
and i was going for a chain but still be able to use the pedals

Last edited:
try pocket bike motors and fancy scooter. you can find a 47cc two stroke motor for about a hundred delivered. they also have cvt transmissions for thirty or less. these will weigh one quarter of that lump you are thinking about. they are very compact also. you wont have much room to mount it. also i suggest you read for days, know what you want and then ask specific questions. the answers are here.

Welcome cjren. Are you from Minnesota?
You may need a centrifical clutch for that engine you showed. Here are a few links with tons of parts that I have ordered from in the past. You will need a bit of mechanical ability to move foreward. Its also fun to do a build with a friend to bounce ideas from each other. Have fun.....terrence

sprockets-chain-clutches-torque-converters
http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&itemid=3316&passedfrom=thumb&showFullImage=
http://www.bmikarts.com/index.htm

Back