Trying to disassemble clutch

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ayo2001, Feb 27, 2016.

1. ayo2001

ayo2001 Member

Ok so I have a 66cc motorized bicycle (chinese) and while writing it I ran into some problems. Upon inspection and disassembling the clutch I found out that my woodruff key had sheared. I also found out that the spot that the woodruff key goes on is hollowed out and the key won't fit properly so I disassembled the clutch and pulled everything out so I can't replace it with a new clutch shaft. I have everything apart but I can't seem to get the big gear off of the clutch shaft as you see in the picture below. Can anyone tell me how to get it off so I can replace it with a new clutch shaft?

Attached Files:

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

3. ayo2001

ayo2001 Member

4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

got a blowtorch handy? heat it up. the clutch, not the shaft.

as you will be replacing the shaft, dont be shy when reaching for a large hammer!
  5. ayo2001

ayo2001 Member

Ok so I just heat up the clutch and then hammer it off?

6. crassius

NO - you use the puller I posted the pic of and it comes right off - the clutch hub is sitting on a taper on that shaft with a key just like other end of shaft - if you pull on big gear, you'll trash the bearings in the hub that the gear rides on - the tool pulls that hub off easily with the big gear still attached to hub
  7. ayo2001

ayo2001 Member

Ok so I need the puller tool to take off the clutch hub off the clutch shaft? Is there any other way I could take it off?(See pic below) 20160227_193132.jpg

8. crassius

you could *maybe* get a pair of steel bars for the back of the hub to sit on, then thread a nut onto end of shaft a bit to protect threads while you hammer shaft end down thru hub, but that tool can easily pull clutch, bevel gear and drive sprocket so is a good thing to have
  9. ayo2001

ayo2001 Member

I got it out, as you can see, 20160227_195153.jpg
    but the only problem is trying to get this stupid big gear off the clutch shaft, 20160227_193125.jpg
    it's a bitch to get off , Mabey I'm doing something wrong. I really need to replace the shaft so I can get my bike rolling again.
  10. crassius

first, does the big gear still turn freely on that shaft? if not, then your inner clutch bearing is dead and you need both a shaft and a clutch, so no reason to get it apart unless you want to save that one outer bearing still on the shaft

if clutch is good and you can't hang it thru a vise or some steel rods to hammer it down thru, then you *might* be able to lock shaft in a vise and turn the castellated nut behind the bearing enough to force both the bearing & clutch off the shaft
  11. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

once again, the hammer cure has been suggested.

had too many issues with the supplied "pullers" starting with badly machined threads that dont engage, to the hex stripping out, blah blah, yarda yarda.

no, heat isnt always necessary, but you often find the application of heat can cause the shaft to just FALL OUT rather than having to get old "knockoffomatic"(aka hammer) into action...

shafts rooted. what have you got to lose?

oh. it helps to dismantle the shaft completely FIRST... remove that castellated nut , the spring slides off, then blah...that little rod comes out of the middle... etc. smack that with a hammer and the lil thread on the end will get destroyed. not sure if a new shaft comes assembled or not.

and upon can adjust how stiff or loose the clutch action is with the same nut. if it slips...tighten the nut. if the cable snaps...loosen the nut :)

wait. i just looked at the pic... been a while. the nuts trapped behind the clutch... my bad :D

you could try undoing the nut anyway with a drift/punch...with luck it will act like a puller (pusher in this case)

if it doesnt work, use a tube/pipe/socket that slips over the little threaded rod and wack THAT.