Trying to disassemble clutch

ayo2001

Local time
4:00 PM
Ok so I have a 66cc motorized bicycle (chinese) and while writing it I ran into some problems. Upon inspection and disassembling the clutch I found out that my woodruff key had sheared. I also found out that the spot that the woodruff key goes on is hollowed out and the key won't fit properly so I disassembled the clutch and pulled everything out so I can't replace it with a new clutch shaft. I have everything apart but I can't seem to get the big gear off of the clutch shaft as you see in the picture below. Can anyone tell me how to get it off so I can replace it with a new clutch shaft?

Attachments

• 20160227_193125.jpg
    20160227_193125.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_2016-02-27-19-47-17.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-27-19-47-17.png
    1 MB · Views: 158
got a blowtorch handy? heat it up. the clutch, not the shaft.

as you will be replacing the shaft, dont be shy when reaching for a large hammer!

Ok so I just heat up the clutch and then hammer it off?

got a blowtorch handy? heat it up. the clutch, not the shaft.

as you will be replacing the shaft, dont be shy when reaching for a large hammer!

NO - you use the puller I posted the pic of and it comes right off - the clutch hub is sitting on a taper on that shaft with a key just like other end of shaft - if you pull on big gear, you'll trash the bearings in the hub that the gear rides on - the tool pulls that hub off easily with the big gear still attached to hub

Ok so I need the puller tool to take off the clutch hub off the clutch shaft? Is there any other way I could take it off?(See pic below)
20160227_193132.jpg

NO - you use the puller I posted the pic of and it comes right off - the clutch hub is sitting on a taper on that shaft with a key just like other end of shaft - if you pull on big gear, you'll trash the bearings in the hub that the gear rides on - the tool pulls that hub off easily with the big gear still attached to hub

you could *maybe* get a pair of steel bars for the back of the hub to sit on, then thread a nut onto end of shaft a bit to protect threads while you hammer shaft end down thru hub, but that tool can easily pull clutch, bevel gear and drive sprocket so is a good thing to have

I got it out, as you can see,
20160227_195153.jpg

20160227_195139.jpg

but the only problem is trying to get this stupid big gear off the clutch shaft,
20160227_193125.jpg

20160227_193132.jpg

it's a b**ch to get off , Mabey I'm doing something wrong. I really need to replace the shaft so I can get my bike rolling again.

first, does the big gear still turn freely on that shaft? if not, then your inner clutch bearing is dead and you need both a shaft and a clutch, so no reason to get it apart unless you want to save that one outer bearing still on the shaft

if clutch is good and you can't hang it thru a vise or some steel rods to hammer it down thru, then you *might* be able to lock shaft in a vise and turn the castellated nut behind the bearing enough to force both the bearing & clutch off the shaft

Back