Trying to make my 4 cycle 50cc 2.5 hp Honda engine more quiet.

You could scuff the copper and use flat black wood stove paint to make it prettier. Is it still to loud with all that length? I would guess that you would loose some power by placing more restriction on the backpressure using another muffler. HP is influenced by restriction both on intake and exhaust.
Let me know what you think of your engine after a few hundred miles. I'm looking to build a mid engine bike. There are so many choices out there and I'm soured on chineese junk, but am aware that the chineese may have sOme worthy items. A bit of research is going to be necessary

In my experience, neither electrical nor silver soldering copper tubing will hold up over time to the heat and vibration.

I have yet to try it on a 50cc, but used electrical conduit and (no kidding) a rubber blow bag. Sounds really cool on the HF 79cc. Cost 10 or 15 bucks with pipe, muffler and fittings. I had put a garden hose splitter on it so I had the the option of a lawn mower muffler and/or the rubber muffler. The threaded pc at the end of the conduit has a set screw.

The blow bag is $7 at Harbor freight and $20 at home depot.

I put it on as a joke thinking it would blow up, but turned out to work great and good sound dampener.

But do like the sound and really funny part, kids and animals seem to as well.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/dan3xd/RiverSide/?action=view&current=1128001444.jpg

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/dan3xd/RiverSide/?action=view&current=mufflerdouble.mp4

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=HFwrubbermufflerandeasybreakin.mp4

Are those the toilet water things..
Hook a hose to it. Then stuff it down the clogged toilet. Turn water on, run away fast. Toilet will either unclog or spray everywhere.

LOL Spad, ayup. Sure are. Well clogged pipes. Never tried one in a toilet. Bet that could make a mess.

As the bag fills with water from the garden hose, it expands sealing off the sides of the pipe and the hole at the opposite end shoots a jet of water and creates pressure on the clog.
For our thing it sort of happily pulses. They come in 2 sizes too! (for your plumbing and MBing pleasure)

I ended up polishing the copper pipe with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper after filing the excess solder off. It's still some what loud. This setup sure beats the exhaust that came with the engine kit. The price is right with only 4 fittings and a length of pipe from Home Depot. It can also be duplicated by anyone with tubing cutter and small propane torch. It's also easy to repair, replace or modify. Enough vibration can brake anything. I don't have that problem after putting heater hose between the mounts and the frame tubes.

mufflers are fun :) you can spend days making one that is actually louder!

but then again...when you arent workin within the space restrictions required on a small engine... you can do better than the engineeers at honda :sick:

the key is... lots of chambers, tuned to attenuate specific frequencies...

silver solder, a blowtorch, tin cans (aerosols and fruit...) and tin snips. you can do it! its about volume. more volume in the can means less out...
ha ha. taking liberty with the meaning of volume :) bet yall confused now. do we seperate or separate?

Then after you get the exhaust note toned down where you can hear you realize how much noise comes from the intake side.

Back