Tucson Police Department Harassment

Reply to loquin

Here is the AZ state law verbatim.
The 20mph exemption is a Tucson City Ordinance, NOT a statewide. You can also go to the TPD website and they have a link to the City of Tucson website pertaining to this ordinance.
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.

C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour

Note that the speed limit for motor vehicles is posted. There are no speed limit signs posted for motorized bikes. It will be very interesting to see how this issue is resolved. No speed limit signs for motorized bikes, and no speedometer requirements for motorized bikes. And the police are wasting their time with what amounts to nothing, when they have much higher priorities! Time to chop the heads of a few bureaucrats. Whoops, they do that in Mexico!

pin head cops

So your cops are pin heads at least you don't have to title register, plate and insure it like here in OR much less make it comply with safety equipment lights, turns, brake Lt, horn, mirror. I've done it but it so going to cost hundreds here to be legal but I am determined to make them do it within their own rules. But lots of hoops and bucks. They are bored and need money from any source even though your cuncil made it legal they regulated it so they could make money off you. Heck stay off the bike lane and take your lane in the street we used to fight for that in Flagstaff and in AZ bikes are allowed in the roadway. good luck and try using the law and any loop holes you can find.

C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour
the law is clear

There are no speed limit signs posted for motorized bikes.
There are no such signs regarding murder or stealing either??

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.
this looks like a few people could make things worse for everybody else.

Yeah TPD sucks There is alot of things that sucks about Tucson Thats why I moved to seattle. But the law clearly states if you operate any "motor Vehicle" on public road ways you must have a valid AZ or stae issued Liscence. I personly agree with that part of the law.... but to over punish an offender is wrong in my opinion. Before I moved from there I had gotten 2 tickets for operating a "motorized skateboard" in city limits.I almost lost my liscence. Its **** but if your jim click and want to sell fords you have to lobby and make it hard for people to find alternate means of transportation. which he has done a very good job of that. Here in WA police seem to have better things to do than harass people on MB's, Thats what they tell me when I ask them about the legality of operation. I lived in tucson for 20yrs and it dose feel like those in power do try to make it hard for less fortinate people to better themselve's or there lives. It sucks my advice is to move out of that state or atleast to the other side of the canyon.

Hey, Super Moderator - Speed limits MUST be posted in order to be enforced. What do you think speed limit signs are for? Also, consistent with AZ (and most other state) law, speed limits are just that - defined as maximum speed, not "less than...". And, once you assemble a motor to a bike, you must pedal less than 20 mph, even if the motor isn't engaged and running. Really makes a lot of sense and is perfectly clear, perhaps in your mind.

Screwfly - "Motorized Bicycles" are NOT "Motor Vehicles" under AZ law.

Last edited:
Hey, Super Moderator - Speed limits MUST be posted in order to be enforced. What do you think speed limit signs are for? Also, consistent with AZ (and most other state) law, speed limits are just that - defined as maximum speed, not "less than...". Also, consistent with AZ (and most other state) law, speed limits are just that - defined as maximum speed, not "less than...". And, once you assemble a motor to a bike, you must pedal less than 20 mph, even if the motor isn't engaged and running. Really makes a lot of sense and is perfectly clear, perhaps in your mind.

Screwfly - "Motorized Bicycles" are NOT "Motor Vehicles" under AZ law.

Don't know if you are informed. Many cities, from Texas to Connecticut (I named these on purpose....I have lived in both and quite a few in between)have no speed limit signs of any kind on allot of streets. In the city I now live in, if there is not a posted speed limit, then the speeds shall not exceed 35 mph. Read and understand local ordinances before telling others something that may cause them to break the law.
You might also check that 'tude at the door.

In every single state the primary speed limit is seldom posted but always in effect. It is known as "The Basic Rule", which rule states that you must travel at a speed "reasonable and prudent" for the conditions and the vehicle. Like it or not, Tucson has decided that "reasonable and prudent" for a motorized bicycle is 20 mph, apparently. There exists NO REQUIREMENT to notify each and every separate class of vehicle on the road of what is reasonable and prudent. Speed limit signs are advisory in nature, intended for the predominant classes of vehicle using the roads.

For instance, in Louisiana, most freeways are marked at 70 mph. Yet you can and likely will be ticketed for doing 30 mph on one if one of our periodic thunderstorm gully-washers is pouring down and forward visibility ends 10 feet in front of you. It is incumbent upon you to know the extant law (ignorance is NO EXCUSE), and to drive in accordance with both it and the basic rule.

Don't know if you are informed. Many cities, from Texas to Connecticut (I named these on purpose....I have lived in both and quite a few in between)have no speed limit signs of any kind on allot of streets.

there isn't a speed limit sign on my street either. I go by the rule of thumb that residential streets like mine are 25 mph limit. (it's narrow, there are NO businesses, and it doesn't lead anywhere that you can't get to by a bigger street)

Like someone else said, you don't see "DON'T MURDER EACH OTHER" signs posted for the law to be in effect...

Back