tugs

johnsteve

Local time
10:44 PM
Are all tug-nut tensioners all the same? Which ones are quality and which ones are durable. Looking to get a set. Can someone recommend a strong a set for me please. I am looking at anything between 5 to 70 dollars. Its hard for me to decide which one would be best for a MB

I am using these die cast tugs, they have been great thusfar and are much stronger than the cheap stamped ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSKLPO

I had to grind a little off my frame for them to fit however.

20161104_191921.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Chain tugs? They needn't be strong, since they only set the chain tension before/while you tighten the wheel nuts. The less rusty ones are good.. but stainless (Surly) cost a bit too much.

Edit: for 70 dollars you could get Surly stainless ones.
Or for a few cents, buy a newspaper and stuff it between the tyre and the bottom bracket while you tighten the wheel nuts.

Last edited:
that looks like a steel frame too. I wonder if it would fit my aluminum frame with the tank in it (I just cant remember how its called at the moment).

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
that looks like a steel frame too. I wonder if it would fit my aluminum frame with the tank in it (I just cant remember how its called at the moment).
KTOKO's frame (pictured) looks like alloy to me.. that would be why the dropouts were a bit thicker than the tensioner is made for. What is the dropout thickness of your frame? At worst you'd only be filing a bit off where it really doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah I reckon anything will do. It's like asking which aheadset tensioner cap star fangled nut and bolt.. they're all pretty much good. Some rust more/faster and there's a couple of different sizes but that's about all the difference between them.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I use 3/16" eye bolts with small nuts and washers, available at Lowe's. Grind some of the roundness off of the "eye" and bend it a little bit with a crescent wrench or pliers. They are sized just right for 3/8" axle.

For the metal standoff part I use one of those wall hanger thingies since they have a 3/16" steel U. Just yank out the plastic attachment piece and go from there.

Back