Turn of the century motor bicycle

So I finally got around to building a proper tank for my 49cc HT bike. It's built on an old non-suspension Stumpjumper. I'm still working the bugs out of it but had some major mounting issues with the stock tank (from the kit). I'm trying for an early motor bicycle look. Here are some pix of the tank. I'll be hanging the tank from straps over the top tube. Bike shots to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_7588.JPG
    IMG_7588.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_7589.JPG
    IMG_7589.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_7590.JPG
    IMG_7590.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_7591.JPG
    IMG_7591.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_7592.JPG
    IMG_7592.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 588
Some of the early Honda mo-peds were 4 stroke, like the 1977 Camino

Attachments

• 05camino83.jpg
    05camino83.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 303
There might be a use for just a shorter rectangular tank that would hang under the top tube. It wouldn't have to go from head tube to seat tube. It would mostly offer an alternative to the peanut tank. Plus, there are alot of vintage examples that did that.
A little more complicated would be an Indian-style tank that hung off the seat tube and wrapped over the back tire.
Somewhat more universal would be a two piece tank or a one pice tank with a very deep yoke in the middle, that would drop onto either side of the top tube. The very deep ones would need some sort of crossover fuel line...

Attachments

• california.jpg
    california.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 298
  • 275.%201904%20Indian.jpg
    275.%201904%20Indian.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 21214409b.jpg
    21214409b.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 313
The same friend who bought one of the HT kits and rides with me, just recently bought an old Maytag boxer 2-stroke. It was originally used for a washing machine. He is repurposing it for installation on an old skip tooth bicycle frame. I'll try to post some pix of it when it gets that far along.
The old honda engines are nice but I am interested in finding something a bit more upright rather than the Honda 50-90-110 laydown engine.
I've even thought of cobbling together my own motor, starting with a little briggs, completely fabbing a round crankcase and tall cylinder and lengthening the connecting rod. But that's a whole lot of work! I can dream, though.

Looking at your photo again; are those the old "bio-pace" chainrings up front?

It sounded like a pretty good idea when they came up with that. didn't seem to fly, though.

I'll bet manufacturing costs were one problem.

Yeah, good catch. When I pulled the bike out of the shed and cleaned it up to get ready for the motor install I never even noticed the bio-pace setup. Doh!

I'll replace it with another non-biopace crankset but I was trying to figure out something that would look more 3 piece crankset look. So I was just leaving that way until I figured out something better. Just like the tank that I made to replace the peanut tank and the modified long-horn handlebars. My new hairpin seat is ordered as well as a set of fenders.

Jeff

Theold Indians with that type of tank were called camel backs very cool looking bikes too

Here's my friend's boardtrack style cruiser. I'm sure the initial reason he purchased the kit was that I had one and it would be something fun to do. But now I think that he really likes these little low speed forms of transportation.

He's working on another bike right now which is an old skip-tooth frame and he's mounting a Maytag washer motor in it. I'll bet a lot of people don't know that once upon a time some Maytage washers came with a little two-stroke boxer twin engine. He's doin some pretty serious mods to the engine to narrow it enough to use on a bicycle. The frame has been lengthened 3" to be able to clear the length of the engine. I'll post some pix of this project soon.

It's kind of funny that he like these very slow motorized bikes. Funny, because recently he set the world landspeed record at Bonneville for a 50cc motorcycle at 144.466mph. On that he' using a hopped up Aprilia 50 engine and it's turbocharged. 20+ hp at 14,500rpm amd 6psi of boost. I've attached a few shots of his record-setting streamliner.

Attachments

• Motorbike1.jpg
    Motorbike1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 347
  • motorbike2.jpg
    motorbike2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 298
  • motorbike3.jpg
    motorbike3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 329
  • buddfab_streamliner.jpg
    buddfab_streamliner.jpg