Two speed Staton

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by kerf, May 25, 2008.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

Well, a quick 15 mile test run this morning and everything appears to be working on the almost complete rig. The shifting is still via manual derailing but the low range is supper on big hills, the ones I avoided before. I will be working on the handle bar shifting system next, should be great fun. The 16 tooth output sprocket is a super cruse ratio and allows me to handle most hills, the 13 tooth is supper low with great torque. I switched to 410H and 3/32 track sprockets on the output to aid derailing. The picture is with the side cover removed.

Attached Files:

2. kerf

kerf Guest

Here is a pic with the side cover on. As you can see everything is covered from prying eyes and I sized it to conceal the derailleur also.

Attached Files:

3. That is awesome! How's the alignment to the bottom sprocket?
    I assume the blue sprocket acts like a derailier?

4. kerf

kerf Guest

Two blue rollers are for chain tension. The derailleur will mount to the cover and be on the tension side of the chain. Right now, I'm derailing on the slack side by rolling the bike backward. I have run test on a stand and derailed on the tension side under engine power.

5. You know even if you just stop and move it over by hand it's still an epic win. Then with the question of chain alignment maybe the jack shaft could be slid over that little bit?
    Between the shaft have like a fork you can slide over connected to a cable to your handlebar. It would just need a simple lever. Even one that flips.

6. kerf

kerf Guest

Alignment center is right between the two sprockets. The 410H chain has plenty of wiggle room on the 3/32 sprockets.

7. kerf

kerf Guest

By the way, my 14.7 mile run this morning used 644 ml of fuel. If my math is correct that is 86.48 mpg or 45.66 miles per 2 liter tank. Not great but I'm running a little rich on the 4 hp.

8. kerf

kerf Guest

FYI, high range is 18.75 to 1, low range is 23.08 to 1. Low range increases torque 23%, it's a hill climber with a 45 mph top end.

9. kerf

kerf Guest

Final touch

A quick trip to Wally World produced two 26" x 2.125" beach cruiser tires. They measured 26.34" diameter, this should increase top end to 46 mph @ 11k. I won't rev higher cause I don't want to break something.

Attached Files:

10. loquin

loquin Active Member

BTW. Your calculation was off by just a bit.

To convert liters to gallons, multiply liters by .2642

So, 14.7/(0.2642 * 0.644) = 86.40 mpg.

11. kerf

kerf Guest

Darn, it's worse than I thought!

12. loquin

loquin Active Member

:D

BTW, kerf - I didn't tell you how impressed I am with that installation. It really IS just about the perfect solution.

You might refer to it as a 'quick gear ratio change' instead of a two-speed, if you ever have to discuss it with the law. Typically, multi-speeds are verboten in a 'legal' motorized-bicycle.

13. kerf

kerf Guest

Like I explained, I'm already illegal, thanks to an incompetent legislature. Thanks for the complement.

14. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

Kerf, whats up with the poor mpg? I have a 1 gal tank 133.9 miles on the tank and 1/2 inch of fuel still in it, so I.m guessing 150+ mpg. I have 5 top speed runs on the tank also. Lean that baby out!

15. kerf

kerf Guest

Problem could be me and measuring 27 ml at a time. I need to run a longer distance and use a larger measuring devise. I'll be heading to the lake this week and stretch it out on the rural highways there.

16. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

I got 90 mpg when I had the stock clutch springs,engaging at 8,000 rpms.

17. loquin

loquin Active Member

Kerf, are those two sprockets fixed to the shaft, or freewheel?

18. kerf

kerf Guest

There are standard track sprockets for converting a derailleur to a single speed. They are mounted on a Staton freewheel to 5/8" shaft adapter. It's mounted backward so the engine pulls the thread tight.

19. kerf

kerf Guest

Well I'm back from lake Guntersville, had a good trip and the wife and I covered about 120 miles on the bikes. The two speed worked great and I will begin development of a derailing system from the handle bar. After leaning out the 460 and getting good plug color, mileage was 109 mpg, in hilly conditions with a 25-30 mph cruise. Trouble is the next day, same conditions, she back to rich again, I think the vibrations from 20 to 40 mile runs may be moving the carb adjustments. I may add a little tension to the needle spring and see what happens. Has anyone run into this issue before?

20. kerf

kerf Guest

Well, the two speed Staton is a reality, I've been running up and down the street shifting gears. There is some fine tuning to do yet but the dérailleur is flipping between the 13 & 16 tooth output sprockets without a hitch. I spent yesterday and today brazing, cutting, drilling and filing the dérailleur mounting bracket, had to cuss a little too. I found that Vise Grips get very hot when you use them to clamp parts together and heat those parts to 1900 degrees. That was the cussing.

Since I rarely use my front dérailleur, I took it off and used the cable and lever to shift the new one. Thought about just adding another shifter but it's getting crowded on the handlebars. While I was at the lake, last week, I manually dropped into low range and went straight up some hills that were verboten up till now. No peddling, just go straight up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015