Two speed Staton

You must have a peaky engine with lots of power, but a narrow power band,not exactly the best thing if you have a single speed setup.I used to ride the reedvalve Yamaha 2 strokes,you needed a 6speed box with those,lots of fun though.

Max torque @ 8K, max HP @11K, you have to let it run. The intake port timing is pretty aggressive and if you go WOT at low speed, it spits fuel into the air filter and over time will clog it with oil. I'm thinking about the reed valve setup and wondering if it would improve bottom end. It's a little pricey @ $180 but in for a penny, in for a pound.

I don't know,this thing must be highly tuned to begin with,adding something new is tricky,you'll have to trust the manufacturer of this screaming banshee,max power at 11k !,
who makes it,is it off the shelf?

Trevor Simpson makes the unit for the R460, it still requires both cylinder and piston porting so it's not just a bolt on. I still have much research to do before serious consideration but then there's still the wife.:confused:

the dual range setup seems ideal to me.
My region features 50% long steep hills and 50% long flat areas.
My current setup is ideal for hills but as Kerf said earlier the "cruise" suffers.
If I could shift on the fly to a cruise friendly ratio I would have an ideal setup...

The actual chain lenght isn't a lot shorter than in the normal application,implying that a multispeed Staton is feasible in principle.The problem I think is that you prob. can't skip intermediate gears,and still expect it to work,you can dispose of the end ones. How many you can use,who knows? ,mounting the truncated cluster is the trick,remember that you prob.also have to maintain original direction of rotation for the thing to work properly and it has to freewheel also.The Kerf chain tensioner cannot take up enough slack I think,but that can be taken care of.This presents interesting challenges,pushing the envelope is both interesting&frustrating (99% transpiration,1% inspiration), according to T A Edison.I would say 90/10.

On second thoughts isn't there a freewheel on the Staton hub ?,then you won't need that function.

One little issue to keep in mind is I'm using 410H chain not 3/32 which is normal dérailleur chain. As I went down from #41, I didn't want to get too light. I don't think 410H will work through a rear dérailleur, being too wide. I had to do a little "stretching on the braze on front dérailleur to gain chain clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
True enough,it won't not on modern ones anyway.Chains are quite strong,the thin variety just wears faster esp. on small sprockets and they should be replaced on a regular milage schedule if you don't want to ruin your sprockets,once you do,you've had it and have to replace the whole works $$$.

Kerf, I found the 5/8" adapter on Staton's site I looked up track sprockets and now I understand what you did...your setup is brilliant.... my question is does the 410h chain fit the stock freewheel sprocket on Statons hub (that came with my kit) or do you change that to a 3/8" track sprocket too?
If you did change it how many teeth are you running at the hub?

Back