Two speed Staton

The normal chain for a Staton is #41 and it can use sprockets up to 1/4" thick. The ACS left hand freewheel comes in either 1/4" or 1/8" thick both will work with #41 but only the 1/8" will work with 410H which you need for derailing. Staton began using 410H on the NuVinvi and has reduced all his sprocket thickness to work with it. So what I used was:

ACS left hand freewheel - 1/8" thick, 16 tooth

#410H chain

3/32" track sprockets, 16 tooth & 13 tooth.

One other thing, install the track sprockets on the adapter as follows:

Flange on adapter toward gear box.

Thread larger sprocket on adapter first, threaded extension toward gear box.

Install on bike and go for a ride.

Install smaller sprocket on adapter, threaded extension toward gear box.

Install on bike and go for a ride.

The engine will torque the sprockets in a way you won't believe. My first test of the adapter required removal of the 13 tooth sprocket and it took two 250# men on the chain wrench to loosen the sprocket.

Cool! I just ordered the adapter you suggested from Staton.

So now I gotta "track" down some track gears....I wonder if those are common bike shop parts?

Also kerf, Why did you fabricate your chain tensioner?
Just ease of mounting or is there a benifit to you long tensioner assembly?

I just happened on to some inexpensive tensioners online but wondered if there was a reason you didn't go with those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I needed a mount for the idler or cover, I replaced the case bolts with studs and used 1/4" coupler nuts as spacers. The general spacing for the cover is two nuts plus washers.

After looking at my 7speed Shimano rear hub,I managed to halfway convince myself that mounting 3 sprockets on 1/2 Staton adapter may not be a lost cause after all.This would be nice to have since it would extend the gear ratio from 1.23 to 1.46. (13/16/19t).I don't know exactly how thick the ACS sprockets are.On my hub the cogs are less than 5 mm apart;so with 2 there is about 3 mm left, enough to mount a third one.They would have to be mounted the other way around,with the threaded extension on the outside that is with the cogs of the 19t one adjacent to the shoulder.This will make the mounting of the outside 13t one more solid (with the sprocket on the inside).If the ACS sprockets are somewhat thicker they can be ground down to 4.5 mm,the threaded extensions that is.
The shift cage on the front derailleur should be narrowed some to reduce slop in the shifting.That would be a good idea anyway.There are 3/32 freewheels to be had for the narrow derailleur chain.That is the weakest part in the setup,not so much the forces on the chain,more the extra use it's likely to get.
If you reverse the sprockets the chain runs closer to the side of the gearbox but I think there is enough clearance left.

Some things are easier to do than others though ,as my grandmother rather cuttingly used to say when I had some far-fetched ideas, "you can't nail a piece of **** to a board". I was hoping to inspire brave MB frontiersmen to venture into unexplored territory&cover themselves in glory.

Back