two stroke vs four stroke

I someone would develope a small, affordable rotary engine, then we'd have something. Those things are awesome as far as power per cc ratio ! Not to fuel efficient though.

2 strokes have more power and last longer becuse of less moving parts i would go with a 2 stroke over a four stroke anyday i just put a 2 stroke engine on my pocket rocket(use to be electric) goes 40mph

It's not your fault. I know you are just repeating what you have heard. I wonder who started the rumor that 2-strokes last longer because of less moving parts. LOL

Anyone who has owned 4-strokes AND 2-strokes would never think that a 2-stroke is anything close to being as reliable as a 4-stroke. It's really not even close.

Get yerself a motorcycle then. My neighbor just picked up a Yamaha Virago for 600 bucks. I took it out today, acceleration from 65 to 80 with no strain with a lot more left.

The thought has crossed my mind many times but,now you have Insurance thats about 100.00 a year Inspections ,Registrations yearly and a Motorcycle License ,plus the added space it takes up.My bike has none of that for now.:D

I someone would develope a small, affordable rotary engine, then we'd have something. Those things are awesome as far as power per cc ratio ! Not to fuel efficient though.

Fuel efficiency, emissions, and intolerance of being overheated do not make this a good option for motorized bikes. I'm a big wankel fan myself and do love the displacement to power ratio and the fact that I can rev my 1.3L rotary in my car at 7,000-9,000 rpm all day long with no worries. At 9,000 rpm as measured at the output shaft (the eccentric shaft), the rotors are actually spinning at 3,000 rpm.

It's not your fault. I know you are just repeating what you have heard. I wonder who started the rumor that 2-strokes last longer because of less moving parts. LOL

Anyone who has owned 4-strokes AND 2-strokes would never think that a 2-stroke is anything close to being as reliable as a 4-stroke. It's really not even close.

I wouldn't say they last longer because of less moving parts but I would say that their inherent design and simplicity should make them more reliable with less moving parts and much easier to rebuild once they do die.

I'll take a HT over a 4 stroke anytime. They are compact, have great power (with high compression head and tuned pipe), and don't require oil changes, and valve lash adjustments (if applicable). Until they come out with a compact 4 stroke with a tranny that doesn't stick out a half-mile or make unbearable gear noise, I'll stick with the 2 stroke.

I wouldn't say they last longer because of less moving parts but I would say that their inherent design and simplicity should make them more reliable with less moving parts and much easier to rebuild once they do die.

I'll take a HT over a 4 stroke anytime. They are compact, have great power (with high compression head and tuned pipe), and don't require oil changes, and valve lash adjustments (if applicable). Until they come out with a compact 4 stroke with a tranny that doesn't stick out a half-mile or make unbearable gear noise, I'll stick with the 2 stroke.

LOL
It must have been you! (j/k)

If you are just guessing then you can assume anything.

How many people have to do valve adjustments on their 4-stroke? Ever?

How many 2-stroke owners have to change their head gasket almost immediatley?

How many threads are made about 2-stroke motors not starting not running and being replaced constantly? Too many to count.

How many 4-stroke threads are made concerning 4-stroke reliability? Zero

You really need to know about both 2-strokes AND 4-strokes to form an valid opinion. Have you ever owned a 4-stroke motorcycle or motored bike?

If you ever did you wouldnt be making the argument.

I think the 2-stroke motors look cool and if you like the look and the easy obtainable price point even with some of the problems then that's great.

But when comparing the reliability of the 2-stroke v/s the 4-stroke the 4-stroke wins in a land slide victory every time!

Thread-I_like_where_this_thread_is_.jpg

NOT.

C'mon, we all have opinions and make choices and then get trapped into defending them. This is an age old and tired debate and there ain't no correct answer here but we do get stopped by what we know.

Back