Types of engine oil

as long as you don't try to use marine oil it'll be fine. motocross bike type oils work best, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with small engine oil. personally I use the same stuff in my bike that I use in my weedeaters and chainsaws, which is 90 octane ethanol free mixed 50:1 with lucas semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil.

I used to use 100ll with the lucas semi-synthetic but it was such a pain in the ass to get the stuff that I just had to switch. put in a thicker head gasket and haven't looked back since

as long as you don't try to use marine oil it'll be fine. motocross bike type oils work best, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with small engine oil. personally I use the same stuff in my bike that I use in my weedeaters and chainsaws, which is 90 octane ethanol free mixed 50:1 with lucas semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil.

I used to use 100ll with the lucas semi-synthetic but it was such a pain in the ass to get the stuff that I just had to switch. put in a thicker head gasket and haven't looked back since
Is ethanol free easily available in the US? All we can get here in most of Europe is now E10 I.e. 10% ethanol some places have E5 still but I can't find ethanol free

Is ethanol free easily available in the US? All we can get here in most of Europe is now E10 I.e. 10% ethanol some places have E5 still but I can't find ethanol free
it depends on what state you're in, but around here it's pretty common between 87 and 90 octane. I know of a couple states that you just can't get it in without going to a race fuel or aviation fuel dealer, but around here since so many people make their living on the water (ethanol is hygroscopic) most every gas station within 5 miles of a boat launch has it for about 40 cents a gallon extra.

We get 87-94 octane here and see great advantage to using an ethanol blend! Here in N.America the more and more readily available e85 has an octane rating 0f 105 with much better knock resistance!That means we can run higher compression with less heat and less risk of damage!This type of fuel requires more volume witch inturn makes more power for less money compared to race fuels.but cork,rubber,and other materials are not resistant to ethanol and will cause damage to your gaskets and seals if not flushed and maintained regularly ! flushing with wd-40 works well to prevent this also after run oil used by rc modelers after flushing really helps neutralize any negative effect of ethanol use!

ethanol sucks! big time!
it provides a weaker and longer burn.
I was using it till I found out where to buy ethanol free gas. Then I rejetted (leaner) since it was jetted for ethanol before.
Now it runs cleaner with more power and I don't have to worry about the crank seals needing to be replaced early.

If you have knock or detonation then the solution is to lessen your compression, jet richer, and possibly retard the ignition, not put a weak gas into it.

Oh so why is our e85 tuned 2016 hellcat making just over 100hp more and a extra 78ft pounds of torque? Plus now it has never exceeded 204 degrees running temp after back to back multiple passes!

when tuned properly E85 will make at least as much power as gasoline of comparable octane, and often a little more. E85 has a much greater latent heat of vaporization than gasoline, cooling the intake charge and thus increasing its air density-rather like intercooling or water-alcohol injection. We’ve all seen Sprint cars and Alcohol dragsters frosting up after a good run. Ethanol has much the same property, just to a lesser degree. On some engines the resulting power increase could be as much as 5 percent. And when we compare the performance potential of E85 apples to apples-that is, to other retail pump fuels-really there is no comparison. With a pump octane of 105 instead of 87 to 94, you can run more compression, more boost, and more spark advance without damaging the engine with knock, and make more power.

one little thing you are overlooking here;
all those gains were on 4 strokes, not 2 strokes. 2 strokes have a shorter time from ignition to 12 ATDC than a 4 stroke so a slower burning fuel is the opposite of what is needed.
and ignition advance is not easily obtained on the china girl.
for performance mods of all types it needs to be adjustable.
you have to have crazy high compression also which is horrible on bearing life. (rod and crank bearings)

Honda site says:
  • Ethanol is an excellent solvent, drying agent and cleanser. It will clean or dissolve some parts of, and deposits in, fuel storage and fuel delivery systems, including some fuel tank materials. The dissolved material can clog filters or pass through and leave deposits on fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, carburetor jets, intake tracts, valves, and valve guides.

When I used to use gas with 15% ethanol there were two times by bike died on the road due to the idle jet getting clogged, possibly as a result of the ethanol solvent.

Back