Ug I've got a sickness....lol

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by JE, Jan 3, 2009.

1. JE

JE Guest

Well I bought another bike to add to the collection. I bought this 1938 Colson From the Original 85 yr old owner. It's a base model with no tank rack or chain guard. I've got onother 38 colson comming in the mail that is a Deluxe model with the tank rack and chain guard. The one owner bike will be ridable by tomorrow.The grease in all the bearings was like tar and the wheels where shot.

Attached Files:

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

JE, you're as bad as I am...
    I can barely get through my garage because of all of the bikes (and only three are motorized). At last count I was at 29 bikes. Two of them live in my dining room! One is my '41 Columbia F9T "Superb" reissue, and the other is a Columbia-built Western Flyer.

Attached Files:

3. JE

JE Guest

Yea I had 30 bikes at one time. Then I thinned it down to 10 Bikes and started rebuilding the collection......lol

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

JE -------------- you are not that sick

who in their right mind wouldn't want that very cool old bicycle THING ???

ride that THING

5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I hear you MM, that's why I have so many old bikes myself. Here's my favorite (non-motorized) rider, a '36 Elgin I restored a few years ago.

Attached Files:

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

never had the pleasure

wow - I owned a bicycle shop back in the old days
    but don't think I never had the pleasure of working on an old Elgin
    I like that bicycle -- quality work done restoring that THING there

ride that fine THING

7. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Thank you, Mountainman for the kind words. That was an early photo taken right after restoration. I've since added red pinstriping to the rims. Elgins were Sears brand bikes prior to (and during) WWII, after the war Sears changed the name to JC Higgins. This Elgin was made by Columbia / Westfield. One little detail that people seem to get a kick out of is the vintage bicycle lock and holder that rides on the back of the seat tube. I like adding little things like that to my restorations.
    Here's what the bike looked like before I restored it.

Attached Files:

8. JE

JE Guest

Love that Elgin Kilroy. Elgin,Colson and Shelby are my Favorit bikes. I'm still looking for a few parts for my Elgin.

Attached Files:

9. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

My favorite bikes are Columbias, but Elgins are a very close second. In fact, Columbia / Westfield made a lot of Elgins. I have a woman's '36 Elgin (Columbia built) in original paint disassembled, sitting in the basement right now. I plan to relace the wheels this winter, as most of the spokes are badly rusted and/or bent. Here's a shot of that right after I got it at the Trexlertown swap meet for $20.

Attached Files:

10. JE

JE Guest

I found a source for NOS Torington Spokes if you need some pm me. I need to get a couple sets my self.

11. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

You guys are making me want to drag out the Elgin Twin frame and start working on it... I know this sickness, it is a virus that infects and grows in geometric progression. It's the first sickness I've thanked someone for passing along. LOL

12. JE

JE Guest

LOL....yea me too. I'd love to see you're elgin. What model of Twin is it 20, 40 or 60.A Gal I know that collect bikes has a twin 20 and a twin 60 along with two Elgin Robins.

13. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I have no idea which model it is, it's only a frame that needs a little brazing repair work. I picked it up from an acquaintance's bike shop when he closed his doors ten years ago. I got it for 30 bucks. I figured I couldn't go wrong there! So I'm gonna do a custom buiild out of it since it's just a frame, with no original paint, I can't hurt it any. :)
    I love the Elgins, I also have another old elgin, but no idea of age or model; it's rusty, crusty and needs repair/brazing as well. I'd give almost anything for a Blackhawk...:tt1:

14. Imune from the plague

Hello guys, I just wanted to strut about and announce that I am immune for this bike disease that you mentin here. I do not have a proble with this sickness.

'39 Hawthorne (probably Comet, rack, and springer), 53 24" DX, 53 B6, 48-53 Cleveland 26 and 24, Monark Balloner with Freight train light, 50's monark middlewight, Hawthorne middleweight, a Shelby?, 53 luxury liner repop, 24" Elgin Balooner, Prewar Rollfast, and some others including a 1915? Atom Cycle, along with a Raleigh Tourist, and a Chinese bike (these are 28x1 1/2 rod brake hikes). All these are boys! (PS, do not mention a 53 complete and a 56 parts bike Cycletrucks).

Ladies? Rollfast 24, 55 schwinn 26", Monark Deluxe, Monark super Deluxe (spirnger), Hawthorne skiptooth (springer), 26" Selber, 26" Trail blazer (cleveland Middleweight), 26" Haiwatha balooner (truss rod), and some other stuff I cannot remember.

Soooo, you can see, that even tho this old stuff lives here, I am NOT infected! I probably need all those (and maybe more?) just because they were good deals?

I feel soo lucky that I do not have whatever this sickness you guys are talking about.....

Mike

15. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

No, you're just a carrier... :whistling: :stuart: :tt2:

16. JE

JE Guest

ROFLMAO........:jester:

17. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Very neat old bikes. I grew up with the old balloon tire bikes as well.
    I recently picked up A Sun Cruiser, & riding it reminds me of those days. It is a well built bike, lightweight , & well constructed !

Attached Files:

• cruz.jpg
      cruz.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Buzz Bomb

Buzz Bomb Member

No offense, but if that bike reminds you of the bikes that we have been talking about, you must be thinking of something else, because the only thing similar that it shares is two wheels. And light weight? Um, no. I need a forklift to pick up my prewar Roadmaster. :eek:

19. JE

JE Guest

LOL....When my 49 colson was shipped to me the box weighed 59 lbs.

20. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I don't think Esteban was saying that the old bikes were lightweight. He was saying that the Sun is.

And it does look like a nice bike. I'd be happy to ride it.