Ultimate Hub for Direct Sprocket Bolt Up

Hi Johnny! Point taken. I know that some guys work to a budget. If finances was no problem i would go for a toy like this: http://www.fxbikes.com/fxproducts.html
(yes, i know it's not a true motored bicycle).
No matter which option you choose, i'm very curious to see the outcome!
Cheers, Klox

Oops....further reading of the ad for the hub indicates that yes all discs have standard spacings if they meet the same 6 bolt IS standard...That is good news!...Finally the possibility of a real quality hub with a direct bolt on sprocket!
Andrew

Davesmotors sells 6 bolt pocketbike sprockets that will exactly fit the bolt pattern in the M525 hub. gg997(42t) and gg998(33t). I ordered them to try as they were only $5 each. They are aluminum rather than steel and turned out to be too thick for the 415 chain. I've debated whether they could be ground down at the teeth to fit but I worry that they would lose too much strength. I may just grind the teeth off entirely and use it as an adapter to a regular steel sprocket.

Ya know... the NuVinci hub has disc brake holes on it. I know it is really pricey but I have heard nothing but good things about it. If I can find someone that can machine a 6 hole bolt pattern into a 36 tooth sprocket I could put the NuVinci on and use it with a rack mounted gx50 with Staton's lifetime guarantee gear box. That would be a sweet ride I think. Or maybe even dax's new titan once they are available. Or the spookytooth 4 stroke when they start selling them. Or even the whopper stopper skyhawk 2. The possibilities seem endless muahahahahahaha! O yea why didn't someone think of this before?

:cool:Vy, that MIGHT be a brilliant idea, if you don't mind a fixed sprocket instead of freewheel. you'll have to install a freewheel drive sprocket on the box, because the STATON gearbox isn't used to spinning full time. unsure if the drive sprocket's shaft is long enough for a freewheel sprocket, since the shaft has a snap ring holding its drive sprocket.(the STATON drive sprocket has a machined face on the inside, which leads me to believe that it was shaved to fit the shaft and circlip precisely.)

Now are you POSITIVE that you'll be able to DRIVE the NuVinci gearing on the left side?

and don't forget the 10"-11" width of engine and gearbox.

Vy, if the driven sprocket on the left side of the NuVinci's disc hub can utilize its advertised gearing features, you can be credited with offering all happy time engine followers the NuVinci gearing possibilities!(of course, that's after they find/adjust to their optimum gearing.

and that is a HUGE benefit!

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
The sprocket would bolt up to the nuvinci hub (or any disc hub for that matter) the same as it would to spokes with the traditional mounting hardware. Would it not be the same as clamping the sprocket onto the spokes? Is the staton gear box any bigger than the figure 8 one that comes with the JL Hoot kit? I was figuring that it is about the same. When I hooked my drive chain up to my crappy Chinese gear box it ran full time (at least whenever the back wheel moved). Would the staton box be any different? Staton sells that gear box with a freewheel in one of their kits so there has to be a way to affix it. In this thought process I am assuming that the staton box is just a really high quality replacement for the lousy gear box that comes with the 4 stroke kits. If I can make it freewheel too then I'm extra happy. I am not really sure of anything, just bouncing ideas around.

:cool:The disc brake hub is an integral part of the the bicycle's rear hub. it has a machined surface, and studs or a bolt hole pattern to match the disc.

happy time driven sprockets are bolted onto the everyday bicycle hub through spaces between the spokes.

the main reason that STATON gearboxes last for thousands of miles is because the drive sprocket is not in motion for a large percentage of the bike ride. it seems logical that the longer the gears are in motion, the shorter the gearbox's lifespan, and vice versa.

the STATON gearbox's drive sprocket is not freewheeling. it's the driven sprocket on the STATON rear hub that has the freewheeling capability.

the STATON gearbox is 9 1/4" long, 5" high and 2 1/2" wide(3" at the clutch).

i have a spare STATON drive sprocket and a STATON driven sprocket. the sprocket attached to the rear hub is 5/8" thick with a 1 3/8" threaded hole. the drive sprocket is 1/2" thick with 5/8" keyed hole. just as i'd thought, the drive sprocket was heavily machined/resurfaced, so much that you can barely see the threads where the setscrews would've been. :eek:

because the setscrews' holes were machined away, the modified sprocket is retained by a snapring(circlip)on front of the shaft.

of course these sprockets are not interchangeable. you could probably find a 5/8" 18t freewheelsprocket, but to machine it down to 1/2" width and still retain the freewheel intact is a machinist's guess.

That gear box has a lifetime guarantee... I am willing to bet it will hold up under strain. It is made in the usa, after all. ;) Besides, as part of their NuVinci kits STATON sells the gear box with a frewheel... I am quoting here, "the inside drive gear box will come with a 18T 1/8 inch freewheel" There has got to be a way to attach it to the shaft. And the crappy Chinese gear box I have is 7 1/2" long, 5" high and 2 1/2" wide at the clutch. The STATON box is a bit longer but I had plenty of room front-to-back when I had this in my bike.

Came up with a pretty simple solution to the hub problem last night. Create a disc out of maybe 1/8" aluminum that goes where the sprocket currently sits. Make the OD the correct size to use 24" wheel spokes on your 26" wheel. Use the existing hubs spoke holes to mount the new plate using rivets or screws. Now you should have a nice sturdy surface to drill and mount your sprocket to. Just a thought and I am pretty sure it will work.

The more I think about using a Nuvinci with a left-side sprocket bolted to the disc brake holes, the more I think it won't work. Some others have convinced me that the left side mount probably won't utilize the multigearing capabilities of the NuVinci hub, just as a regular spoke mount doesn't use the multigear output of a standard cassette. It's too bad tho. At least we can use a cheaper- non-geared disc brake wheel to bolt up a true sprocket and not worry about broken spokes. Any ideas where I can get a 36 hole sprocket drilled for the 6 hole disc brake pattern?

:cool:Vy, you can buy the HD hub from bicyle-engines.com. their 6-hole sprocket bolts directly onto their hub.

Orrr, they have a left-side freewheel attachment that their 44t-48t sprocket bolts onto.

Didn't your kit include this hub?

Myron

Back