Unbalanced Clown

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Fabian, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Unbalanced clown on training rollers wishes everyone a Happy New Year :grin5:

and this is how it should be done!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

The Aussie was kinda funny. The girl was just great.

Bicycling is a great hobby. Wouldn't it be even greater if more girls were into it?

Now I'm all depressed.

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The Aussie has about as much balance as a drunken sailor riding a bicycle across a ball bearing covered floor.

I've seen stupid before, but this guy takes stupid to a new level.
    He also gives new definition to the term "door slammer".

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I have spent countless mindnumbing hours on rollers. Very good for honing bike handling skills. Actually, riding no hands is easier than riding with the hands on the bars. You really want little or no input into the bars.

One legged tricks and removing jerseys: that is the high-level stuff!

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Yes, but you have to say the the guy in the video is an unbalanced, door slamming idiot, and that's when he is sober.

6. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Fabian, I do believe you are right. That guy at the top demonstrates how NOT to use a set of rollers. Ha!

You know, my motorbike is very stable, I can ride no hands with it. I wonder what a motorbike would do on rollers???

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The guy at the top shouldn't be on anything that comes with wheels or rollers. If you put that idiot on a motorised bicycle, then put him on a set of training rollers, the only outcome is an extra doorway in the house, as he crashes through a wall.

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Another demonstration at professionalism on training rollers

9. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

i want to see the guy at the top riding his motorised bicycle on these lovely looking contraptions :)

cmon fabian, outside!

as they say...no hands ;) hold the walls, not the bars!

yallmost got a dyno there.... does it have a read out or just a basic boring roller?

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It's just a basic boring roller setup, but way more fun that you would think possible.

This is how much my body can crank out, and i make a cameo appearance in the video:

Power output.jpg

I am in the video clip, wearing a red, yellow and black jersey at 27 seconds and 35 seconds.

I have no idea what kind of supplements the winner was taking, but he must have swallowed a whole bottle of Lance Armstrong's special formula protein pills, because no one even came close to his output figure:

http://spinstar.com.au/blog/

11. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

746 Watts per hp.

597 Watts is very impressive.

1/2 hp or 373 Watts is not so easy.

12. HeadSmess

i dont think it would be too hard to set up a large-ish brushless motor as a load thingy... amazing the resistance they make when you short all three wires out ;)

13. HeadSmess

how longs the trial? just peaks? people are known to hit more than that but thems the sort of people with walls of medals and job offers to try and pilot human powered aircraft...

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The trial is for 1 minute, giving it everything you have got, then the computer creates an average wattage.

I was pacing myself at 400 watts for the first 45 seconds, than ramped it up to around 450 watts for the next 10 seconds, and went all out in the last 10 seconds, giving a peak of 560 watts.

The absolutely astounding thing is that to get an "average" of 597 watts requires a much higher peak number, as most people push hard at the start and then taper off significantly by the 30 second mark; requiring the winner to be pushing out somewhere near 800 watts at his peak, which is an astounding number, but more astounding is that there would be professional cyclists who could push out even higher numbers; possibly over 1000 watts.

The most irritating thing for me is that our department of transport has created legislation saying that (Australian's) are not allowed to have an bicycle engine or motor that produces more than 200 watts (0.27 horsepower), as the human body can't produce more than 200 watts of power, which is clearly wrong, going by the fact that the human body can easily produce more than 200 watts of power.

15. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I've been doing some indoor bicycle training this winter at a local cycling studio. The owner there has a set up of KICKR trainers that you attach your bicycle to by removing the rear wheel and setting up on his cassette. Then you ride with a video screen that gives you a readout of all the riders' wattage and speed data. The cool thing is that the trainer is tied into the Sufferfest video - you can really feel the resistance.

My last effort was a good one, averaging 251 watts for an hour. I worked on being steadier and giving up the super big efforts on sprints. My max was 770W.

I've seen some of these strong guys knock it out of the park. One big guy (all power in the flats, not a climber) soft pedals at about 300W, I think his overall average for an hour was around 340W! His max wattage was over 1100W! Another guy, a 40 something Cat 2 amateur racer, maxxed out at over 1200W!

No wonder I am tired all the time! These guys are killing me!

16. HeadSmess

it would be interesting to do some maths on say, the trajectory of a football when given a thoroughly good kick for some idea of the power a human body can produce when using more than just muscular energy...ie, the inertia of your foot... quite simple, takes yay much to move so much so far so quick, catering for losses like wind resistance and deformation in an elastic collision...

i wanna pedal powered copter! up yours FAA! up yours roads and traffic authority! im going under (and sometimes over) the radar! with some moderate motor (sorry...engine) assist :)

17. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I wonder what kind of wattage the bicycle rider has to maintain to lift the helicopter???

18. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Last time I rode my bike it put out 2.5 ponies, nuff said!