Unbelievable Carbon Fouling!

Chipping the larger specks off with a tool is OK- and it is not so much the piston surface that I am concerned about (still would not use a steel wire brush on the piston), it is the cylinder deck.

5 min of light scraping maybe ?

Chipping the larger specks off with a tool is OK-

Hi Hal

you may just want to get the big stuff off as HM has recommended
the old carbon buildup is just part of the engine -- comes in time
yes - sometimes seems to be a short time

when we rebuilt these small engines
we didn't spend too much time knocking off the carbon
5 min of light scraping -- should do it for now

ride the motor bike

A bead blaster with the glass beads. Five minutes, and no damage to the head.

Just have to find someone with a bead blaster.

Most every motorcycle shop has one, most won't charge for doing it, at least where I'm at.

Regards August

CAN't DO DAT!

I've got to clean up Oscar's cylinder top right here in my garage!

Wonder what Q would suggest...

HAL

"The tail gun turret disintegrated as Bob's shells found their mark."

Carbon Removal

Hal,

Just get your brass "toothbrush" or any other substantial brass brush out and scrub away, being judicious to minimize stuff going down the bore (piston at TDC only).

Little transgressions like this (running really fat) illustrate clearly why you want detergent oil in your engine. Without it, the rings would be well on their way to being glued in place. You can clearly see how the cooler side of the chamber prefentially loads with carbon, whereas the hot side has only minimal carbon buildup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a fine stell wire brush spinning very slowly on a drill with very light pressure. You don't want to apply any pressure that would create any heat. The scraping method will work fine too but can be time consuming. I wouldn't apply any solvent to soften the carbon first as that would only gum up the brush. Either use a wire brush at slow speed or use a solvent and scraper. A hand brass brush should work well too.

I've shot glass bead but I would only do that to a head if I had it disassembled and in a blast booth. Shooting aluminum oxide, sand or glass bead in the open makes a big mess.

And, of course, tape over the cylinder opening when doing any work.

Hey Go-rebels:

If I taped over the cylinder opening, I wouldn't be able to de-carbonize the Piston Head!

HAL

Hi Hal & Oscar,

Looks like you have several options to remove the carbon buildup. I have used, brass brush, carburetor cleaner, parts cleaner, scraped with a single edge razor blade, sand paper, oven cleaner, and too may other methods to mention. No matter which method you use, be sure to use air to remove any residue left between the piston & cylinder before re-assembly. And if you use any chemicals be sure to change oil to reduce chance of contamination.

I will clean the carbon from your head before I return it to you.

Have fun,

Back