Engine Trouble UnHappy Happy Time (engine wont start)

with my minibike, (even though u said you didnt see gas) i took the carb off, and tilted my bike back all the way till it was standing straight up. depending on how much gas is in the tank ya might wanna try that. if ya really dont have room, ya could check spark by popping the clutch while your finger is in the female part that connects to the spark plug. thats what i do with mowers...... PREPARE YOURSELF FOR A NICE SIZED WAKE UP JOLT THOUGH!

NO! dont touch it lol! you could just hold the spark plug contacts next to the frame (or anything metal) and look for a spark, You need to turn the engine quite quickly though or it wont produce a visible spark. Not insulting your intelligence but just for advice to other newbies (have had people do this before) the spark plug has to still be plugged into the wire coming from the CDI lol.

yea, i would only do that as a last resort on my bike. but on mowers it just wakes ya up, i dunno about happytimes. ive never checked the spark before.

the jolt doesnt really bother me. but then i have a pretty high tolerance of pain.....

Ok, worked on bike today. There IS spark. Checked air filter, gas filter still no go. Heck I even put on a new carb from a new engine that a friend of mine has. Still no go.

Right now I believe I'm going to look for a buyer. I still have my robin/subaru which is going on a gebe rack, belt driven. I've had it with this FORD (Happy Time) carp.

I've had a similar problem before, still occurs occasionally. it only happened in cold weather. The engine was flooded. Mine did start after 20 miniuts worth of trying, and yours evidently isn't flooded.. My bet is that it's the Gasket. That said I do remember hearing that sometimes the plug can spark outside the engine, but when in the engine fail to start. Thats when the magneto is playing up. Has the engine got soaking wet, or even just damp. How was you kill switch wired.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
And one more thing, have you tried adjusting your clutch, a guy on here the other week couldnt start because the clutch was slipping under compression. When you push the bike by hand when the clutch is out and the spark plug is in does the wheel lock up, if it does the clutch is fine.

How is the CDI wired in. It should be red to red and black to black or whatever colour they are, as long as the are connected same colour to same colour. If the CDI is wired in the wrong way it causes it to spark at the wrong times.

BSA

when in doubt of flooded crankcase just pull plug, get out the trusty propane torch, engage cluth & roll bike forward with torch on plug hole, youll know right away if theres gas in there!! keep us posted zevo!

i get that problem some times but you do full chock full open throtle

and it will fire but keep gas line off till it almost shuts off then you will be good to go

I have had spark plugs that will show a spark out in the open but would not fire under compression. Try the new plug from you other kit. Good luck.

Jim

Back