Update, Lights, Horn, 12 Volt Solution

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
i am using a 18volt cordless tool battery and a 1 hour quick charger they came from a cordless hedge trimmer on sale at walmart for $45. Battery will last for years and can be replaced for $18. battery weighs 1lb.
and im using a car 12volt clear headlight and a car 12volt red dome taillight,the lights are hooked together in series to equal 24volts and came from a autoparts store for $10 for both. the bulbs last a long time and can be replaced for $2.
I have a 110v house fan switch for the on/off switch and a inline fuse $5.
These lights are bright,can be seen far away and last for hours.
Turn signals and horn could also be hooked up if a person wanted to.

Very odd,you have 18V? total from your battery and this voltage is to be divided between a 12 V car headlight and a 12V rear dome? light .These lights are under volted and would have low output and efficiency (lumens/watt).The lower current rear light would hog more of the available voltage,and the headlight would get relatively starved of voltage,putting out less light Exactly the opposite of what you would want.Are you certain this is an 18V battery?

yes its a 18v battery. my headlight is bright enough to blind you and light up the road and the tailight is less bright but can be seen from down the road.

I suspect you actually may have a 6V dome domelight and a 12V headlight in series,adding up to 18V.With this configuration the 12V light would get enough voltage and the dome light would be dimmer,as you observe.Otherwise I am completely ,utterly totally STUMPED .The fact of the matter is that light output goes down steeply with decreasing voltage(3th power of temp !),an incandescant 12-13 V lightbulb is much less bright at 9-10V.What you're telling me just doesn't add up.

:yawn: wake me up when somebody does something meaningful with the lights, I watched the vid, batteries stuffed in frame tube.

Here's an update: I definitely did solve the lighting problem as can be seen from this video: It wasn't easy. After further consideration, I decided not to put it into production due to the cost of the solution, and the fact that motorized bicycles are not legal in Illinois. If I ever conceive of how to reduce the cost of the solution, I would reconsider. Until then I recommend other solutions like batteries for lights.[/QUO

it legal to ride here in Illinois i never even get asked anything by cops here go to the dot. site for Illinois go learn they cant outlaw this cas then ebikes would be outlawed also

A lot of problems can be 'solved' by throwing some money at it.A bicycle dynamo can be used to charge a 6 or 12V SLA battery,and with HT engines the same can be accomplished using the white wire.Battery charging circuits have been posted with enough capacity for an LED based system,and it does not cost a fortune either.
MM might define 'meaningful' if he ever wakes up again,sweet dreams,layabout.Hopefully they'll inspire him to come up with 'meaningful' breakthroughs.It must be remembered:
"What's unlikely is not impossible either".

What I invented was a unique system with full 90 amp power equivalent to a standard motorscooter, capable of high halogen illumination needed for night driving. Also, indeed, driving a motorized bicycle is illegal in Illinois, as I have checked this out very thoroughly
with state police and the Illinois secretary of state. The Secretary will not register such a vehicle and grant a license at this time, and if caught driving without a state plate on any motorized vehicle in Illinois, a citation can be issued. At this time the Secretary refuses to grant a plate on a motorized bicycle because it is not built upon a frame intended for motorized power. I challenge any one who thinks this was an easy problem, one that can be solved by just throwing money at it to go for it. Show us your solution. You'll soon discover that some problems require extensive effort, inventive talent and maybe even some luck. Some solutions require years to develop successfully. Anyone who believes invention and product development are easy is simply ignorant.

Correction: The system is 90 watt, 12 volt meeting the lighting standard for motorscooters and mopeds in Illinois. Mike

Back