Update To Lighting Project

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Stoltzee, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

After ordering a light, and turn signals from a cheap Chinese vendor on E bay it was now time to fabricate a bracket that would match the bike some what, and wasn't over the top. I don't have a vice, or a drill press just a few crescent wrenches, vice grips, and a couple of hammers, and old drill bits. I took a few picks to show the parts I created, and share the idea. That's the $24.00 light with the Cree LED I found on E bay. 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

2. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

Looks like you did a really good job working with what was available to you.

Stoltzee likes this.
  3. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

Well my new light appears to be quite bright. ($24 on Ebay)
    Cree Light 1.jpg Cree Light 2.jpg 20131202184848.jpg 20131202185115.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

Great job my friend.

Stoltzee likes this.
  5. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

Don't go pointing that thing in a dark field at night. Your liable to get a poaching ticket. Nice & Bright, great job!

6. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Can you provide a link to the turn signals?

7. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

How about a link for the headlight and turn signals?

8. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

9. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

10. butterbean

Might be a dumb question, idk, but do these turn signals blink on their own, or do they need a relay? Also, what sort of switch do you use to control them? Do you have rear blinkers?

11. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

12. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

Used the parts out of an old light switch, a spring, and a couple of rubber grommets to make a "Brake Light Switch."
    Now I just have to figure out what to spend the rest of the research grant money on. Lets see, four months labor and testing, business dinners with clients, operational cost, that may cover it. "Here Sir's, hers what you get for your $25,000. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  13. butterbean

No sound, and no shot of the light turning on. Just a shot of two cables, can't really figure out what is going on here.

14. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

Sorry about that lack of information butterbean. I made a better video, I think???

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  15. butterbean

Much better, thank you.

16. Stoltzee

Stoltzee Member

I ordered a cheap switch on ebay. It only had a high/low switch for the head light, which didn't work, but the turn signal switch works, and I have a horn button. I salvaged a switch off an electric scooter to use for the lights, but haven't gotten around to playing yet.
    I bought a basic turn signal blinker with 2 poles on it @ $6.00 something. (US). A blinker that you find on an older vehicle. (Round)

17. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

On my system, I rout power to the turn signals through a green flasher LED- I have to use a suppressor sparkplug for it to work. I reduce the 6 volt system to 3 volts for this and it works dandy... but recently it has come to my attention that your standard blinker bulb from an incandescent Christmas mini light string is in fact a 2.5 volt bulb. This is a bi-metallic filament contact that heats up, disconnects, cools off, reconnects regardless of engine electronic interference. As it probably draws more power than the rest of the system combined, I suspect channeling the hotbox power through four penlights in series will boost it enough AND provide a crude voltage regulator.