UPDATED : Idaho

That's the problem with this state, stan. You can have the freaking laws right in front of you and can find conflicting laws on the same subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why you would want to try registering and insuring a "motorized bicycle". I agree I posted my info in the wrong topic and that is my mistake, but trying to register/insure a "motorized bicycle" is just stupid.

It's stupid because first off, there is no such thing as a "motorized bicycle" according to Idaho law. Feel free to try disproving me with an Idaho statute. And secondly, it's stupid because you are going to convince/ confuse the dmv that our vehicles need to be registered and insured. If you want a motorcycle/motorbike, just go buy one.

I have spent the better part of the last 5 weeks trying to educate and inform my local dmv, Twin Falls Sheriff's dept, and the Idaho Transportation Dept, and people like you want to just add more confusion!

It's stupid because first off, there is no such thing as a "motorized bicycle" according to Idaho law. Feel free to try disproving me with an Idaho statute.

Idaho statute 49-123 section G states;
"Motor vehicle. Every vehicle which is self-propelled, and for the purpose of titling and registration meets federal motor vehicle safety standards as defined in section 49-107, Idaho Code. Motor vehicle does not include vehicles moved solely by human power, electric personal assistive mobility devices and motorized wheelchairs or other such vehicles that are specifically exempt from titling or registration requirements under title 49, Idaho Code."
The blue area is specific to bicycles and handicapped mobility devices.

You could do what many here in Texas are doing.......drive right and do not worry about it. With the laws as confusing as they are if you ever get a ticket....then again don't worry about it. It is unlikely 12 people will resolve it.

Last edited:
Not trying to argue with ya stan but the blue sentence can also be referring to other vehicles than just "bicycles and handicapped mobility devices". For example a lawn tractor. And that quote doesn't prove the existence of "motorized Bicycles"

The whole point of my discussion is that the laws are not confusing regarding "mopeds" here in Idaho, they are non existant. There was a pamphlet posted by the City of Meridean PD, that required mopeds operators to need a valid drivers license, headlights, taillights, rear reflector, brake light, rear mirror, brake, and a horn in compliance with Idaho Code 49- 905 through 908, 933, 940, 956. I was able to get it pulled down because the officer I contacted was unable to provide proof those things were needed.

According to that pamphlet, you were also not allowed to ride mopeds anywhere other than "private foot paths". With DuctTapedGoat trying to register/insure his bike, that is what the dmv is gonna remember.

Some people never read the law, they just go by what has always been done and what they remember. I had a 30 minute argument with a dmv supervisor a few days ago about mopeds needing a valid drivers license, and even with her reading the Idaho statutes with me she was resistant to admitting the wording of the law because mopeds have "always needed a drivers license".

Sorry I was only trying to help. I thought "Every vehicle which is self-propelled" was pretty clear.
But I will leave you with this thought. Today, do you really believe that DuctTapedGoats attempt to registar his bike is remembered and your arguments with DMV are not. Sometimes it might be wiser to go another route than argue with the one who you may need help from later.
A court room or the legislature is the place for arguing this. Not with a police officer or a DMV worker. I would bet they have all heard your and ducttapedgoats arguments hundreds of times, and in the case of the officer he probably will respond with "Tell it to the Judge".

I'm tired of banging my head against this wall so I'll leave you with this.

Had you finished the rest of that sentence, you would realize that our bikes do not meet the definition of the FMVSS. The law is not a chinese buffet. Chopping out the parts you like to try proving your point and leaving the rest.

"Every vehicle which is self-propelled, and for the purpose of titling and registration meets federal motor vehicle safety standards as defined in section 49-107, Idaho Code."

49-107
(5) "Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS)" means those safety standards established by the national highway traffic safety administration, under title 49 CFR part 500-599, for the safe construction and manufacturing of self-propelled motorized vehicles for operation on public highways. Such vehicles as originally designed and manufactured shall be so certified by the manufacturer to meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards or the standards in force for a given model year or as certified by the national highway traffic safety administration.

OK. Herre you go. No cafeteria buffet. Entire law:

Idaho statute 49-123 section G states;
"Motor vehicle. Every vehicle which is self-propelled, and for the purpose of titling and registration meets federal motor vehicle safety standards as defined in section 49-107, Idaho Code. Motor vehicle does not include vehicles moved solely by human power, electric personal assistive mobility devices and motorized wheelchairs or other such vehicles that are specifically exempt from titling or registration requirements under title 49, Idaho Code."

Now please show where it is specifically exempt.

I am only involved in this thread due to the close to the line insults that were noticed earlier. I will now bow out, but continue to moderate the thread.

I do not know if I have welcomed you to MBc yet.
So welcome! Please review forum rules and enjoy your MBc experience.

statute 49-114 moped definition:
(9) "Moped" means a limited-speed motor-driven cycle having:
(a) Both motorized and pedal propulsion that is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, whether two (2) or three (3) wheels are in contact with the ground during operation. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed fifty (50) cubic centimeters and the moped shall have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged; or
(b) Two (2) wheels or three (3) wheels with no pedals, which is powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, a motor which produces less than two (2) gross brake horsepower, is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground and as originally manufactured, meets federal motor vehicle safety standards for motor-driven cycles. A moped is not required to be titled and no motorcycle endorsement is required for its operator.

I have no idea why you would want to try registering and insuring a "motorized bicycle". I agree I posted my info in the wrong topic and that is my mistake, but trying to register/insure a "motorized bicycle" is just stupid.

It's stupid because first off, there is no such thing as a "motorized bicycle" according to Idaho law. Feel free to try disproving me with an Idaho statute. And secondly, it's stupid because you are going to convince/ confuse the dmv that our vehicles need to be registered and insured. If you want a motorcycle/motorbike, just go buy one.

I have spent the better part of the last 5 weeks trying to educate and inform my local dmv, Twin Falls Sheriff's dept, and the Idaho Transportation Dept, and people like you want to just add more confusion!

statute 49-114 moped definition:
(9) "Moped" means a limited-speed motor-driven cycle having:
(a) Both motorized and pedal propulsion that is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, whether two (2) or three (3) wheels are in contact with the ground during operation. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed fifty (50) cubic centimeters and the moped shall have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged; or
(b) Two (2) wheels or three (3) wheels with no pedals, which is powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, a motor which produces less than two (2) gross brake horsepower, is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground and as originally manufactured, meets federal motor vehicle safety standards for motor-driven cycles. A moped is not required to be titled and no motorcycle endorsement is required for its operator.

What are you arguing about? Registration or title?

Back