Upper Southeast Alaska

A

Alaskavan

I looked at the MapQuest map for Haines. Pretty much useless. I'm used to that up here. I highly recomend you come see this place sometime. The government's of Canada and the US are working on making the road an international scenic route. So it's not just my opinion that it's one of the prettyest places in the world. I'll dig around and see if I can come up with some pictures. It might take me a while to figure that out. My camera takes pictures that are usually around 1.5 meg.

Here's what this place looks like.

In the late spring and fall. Most of my pictures would have to be totally butchered to fit here. If you'd like to see some of those, send an e-mail. They are large files, 1.5 to 3 Megs.
Anyway this will give a small idea of what it looks like. If you plan to camp here, read up on camping in bear country.

Attachments

• IMG_0005_1.jpg
    IMG_0005_1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0043_1.jpg
    IMG_0043_1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 643
Last edited by a moderator:
The climate here is much like Portland, OR, except that when the snow comes in late Oct. or early Nov. It doesn't go away until April or May. We usually don't get too much snow, Glacier Bay is just the other sidw of the mountains behind town, and most of the snow usually falls there. This last winter was an exceptional one. We had about 15 feet of snow. Lots of jobs in tourism during the summer. The fishing boats usually hire local kids. I have one of the few year-round jobs.

If you plan to ride here, bring everything you might need for the motor portion of your bike (or lots of money). If (and it's a big if), UPS can find a place near you to deliver emergency supplies, "overnight" delivery will take a week or 2. On the brighter side, there are worse places to be broke down. I have several friends who had cars break down as they were passing though Haines, and they just never left.

ahhh...it sure was nice to browse a theraputic thread, nothing but serenity in those pics, van...thanx :)

since i survived a mini motoredbike marathon, i figure it's no good stopping now...i think i'll be riding a lot of this upper coast, wanna take psugg up on his invite to whidbey before the season's out...maybe reverse your proposed route downward someday and say "howdy, alaskavan!"

Augidog,
Whidbey and the other islands are nice. Almost settled in there once. I spent some time peddaling around on them before I found this place. If you get up this way, I'll shut the shop down for a while so I can ride with you.

And I forgot to mention. When you ride with me up here, a roadside breakdown is not a problem. If man made it, we can fix it.
No tellin' what it'll look like, but we can fix it.
So many toys, so little time.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 595
Hey Van, Is Tsirku Canning still the largest employer in town,back in the late 80's I worked for Trident and had some friends out your way.

Back