Upper Southeast Alaska

Hi Loco,
Tsirku Canning is no longer in business. There is a tourist operation, (where they show people how they used to put fish in cans?). It was a pleasant shock to see that someone down below even knows about Tsirku. What were your friends names? Maybe they stuck here.

iRide,
I've looked longingly at your work. You could work, and therefore live, anywhere you want to. If you lived here.... It would be interesting to see if you could do for snow machines what you do so well for bikes. Very interesting.

Attachments

• snow bike_1.jpg
    snow bike_1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 461
Last edited by a moderator:
The view from here.

Here's some pictures I took on my ride today. Just 7 miles out to the Chilkoot River and Chilkoot Lake. One of the prime spawning grounds for Sockeye Salmon.IMG_0380_1.jpg

We're not the only fishermen around.IMG_0383_1.jpg

Notice the sticker?IMG_0483_1.jpg

Oh well, what should I do with my afternoon?IMG_0488_1.jpg

Trident oo i'm sorry loco i know a little about fisheries did some comercial fishing never heard anything good about them

Roughing it in Alaska

Okay. I'll try again. Started off the morning by going to the skiff to go out and check the crab traps. Both my bike, and my boat are visible in this picture. Clue: Look for the smallest boat visible.
IMG_0699_1.jpg
Had a couple of nice crab in the traps.Thought it would be a nice day to cook crab at the clubhouse. Had to go get the crab boiler to haul out there.
IMG_0704_1.jpg
The cooler. Water is run from that little stream you see. We run a pipe up the hill. Keeps beverages nicely chilled.
IMG_0709_1.jpg
Also serves as a live tank to hold dinner while the water is coming to a boil.
IMG_0723.jpg
Done cookin. My boiler could hold 10 - 15 crab, but it would take a long time to get that much water boiling.
IMG_0727_1.jpg
Dinner is served.:cool:
IMG_0743_1.jpg
That valley on the other side. that's bear country. About 5 miles outside town. When the fish are running up that stream,like right now, you might see 3 or 4 bear in a half mile on that stream. Hiking would require having large caliber arms, and someone at your back. Big brown bears.
IMG_0748_1.jpg
Another project? I'm to busy riding.
IMG_0740_1.jpg
The clubhouse. Just a meeting room, pool room and loft.
IMG_0765_1.jpg
Inside the clubhouse, from behind the pool table.
IMG_0768_1.jpg
You ever have a clubhouse when you were a kid? This is a Clubhouse. Any of you find your way up here on a ride, I can probably get clearance for you to camp here.

More bears

The bear is just past that rock covered in seagull ... stuff. This is about as close as I care to get to a bear. Even one with a full belly. (Been a lot closer, didn't like it.)
IMG_1090_1.jpg
Actually, the bears aren't very agressive when there are lots of fish in the river.
IMG_1096_1.jpg
Unless they want the ones you have.
IMG_1099_1.jpg
Notice the color of the bear? After I got home and uploaded pictures, I discovered that there were actually 2 bears there. Slightly disconcerting.:eek: I have some pictures with both of them, but they aren't good pics.
IMG_1106_1.jpg
If you ride up here, I wouldn't guarantee you'd see a bear. But it's not rare either.

Today's ride

Today I went out towards porcupine. Got a very late start, the clouds didn't burn off 'till about 3.

About 12 miles up the Chilkat River, stopped to have a smoke and gaze into a valley that rarely gets visited by man (good topic for meditation).

View attachment 1338

The Council Grounds (18 miles up the Chilkat. The water here never freezes because of warm water coming up from underneath. Come fall and early winter, there will be thousands of Bald Eagles here. And I don't mean there will be a bunch of Eagles, I mean there will be a ****load of them. Thousands. More gather here than anywhere else on earth (I believe). They should start gathering in late October. I'll post pics.
View attachment 1339

Since I got such a late start I figured I wouldn't make it all the way out to Porcupine, so at 22 mile I thought "I haven't been down this road." It was a good choice (I'm lucky that way:D)
IMG_1306_1.jpg

I stopped to do a check on the bike before getting crazy. Looked for anything loose that wasn't supposed to be, checked the frame for cracks, all that good stuff. That was about when I noticed the tracks just ahead and to the left of the front wheel. Pretty fresh. Small bear. Could be a Black. I don't care for them.
IMG_1282_1.jpg

Right behind the bike I found Moose tracks. One large, probably a cow, and these. A calf. That's probably what the bear was interested in. I don't think a Black Bear would stand a chance against a cow Moose protecting her calf.
IMG_1287_1.jpg

I looked around a bit more and found these. A few days old.
IMG_1290_1.jpg

This bear was a bit bigger. My shoe is a 9 1/2. I've seen tracks twice this size.
IMG_1298_1.jpg

The Soapberries must be ripe. The bears eat them so fast they evidently forget to chew, so when they pass through, a lot of them are still Soapberries. Apparently gives them the runs too. Gives one a certain feeling of trepidation going down a road you haven't been down following all these tracks.
IMG_1303_1.jpg

Beautiful dry riverbed to ride. Miles of it. Looks like the kids come out here to do some off road riding. I had it to myself:D. No point in riding meekly. Might as well go Full Goose Bozo. If I fell, I figured that it would be better to die outright rather than just break a leg and wait for the bears to come shambling out of the woods. The thought added a certain frisson to the ride.:D I was doin' 20 - 25 mph. Standing on the pedals. Lightly holding the bars. Squeezin' the trigger. Almost like surfing.:D
IMG_1305_1.jpg

Put 75 miles on the bike. The new mounts held perfectly. I did notice that I've worn the friction roller about smooth where it hits the tire. I'll have to order another. Maybe I should order a smaller one. Might slow me down some.:rolleyes:
IMG_1315_1.jpg

On the ride home the motor started bogging and farting at speeds above 26. I remembered Bama's item about the muffler screen clogging at around 700 miles. Bet that's it. I'll deal with it tomorrow. Tonight I'll just kick back and let the rerun of today's ride cycle through my head. Thanks for letting me share it with you.

Alaskavan - I love reading your posts and seeing those incredible pictures. You shed some light on some pretty incredible living up there. It's a place I've always wanted to visit, but not so much to live there.

Thanks for sharing!! (Keep 'em coming!)

Back