Upswept Exhaust Pipe:

Hal the Elder

Local time
5:29 AM
Look at the picture in my recent "Photo Of Those Elusive Handlebars" thread:

That Montana Whizzer (with those gorgeous handlebars) has an UPSWEPT exhaust, where mine droops, which is uncool!

I remember the high school kids in the early 1950's with their Whizzers...some had DUAL pipes from a split header, with 45 degree upsweeps, with the exhaust exits at about seat level!

These were really Kustom Whizzers!

Anyway, I'd like to change mine to look like that Montana Whizzer...if I could get the pipe bent, I could easily make a bracket to clamp it to the new position.

HAL

Last edited:
and again

Attachments

• IMG_1925 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1925 (Medium).JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 612
Hal, this drooping pipe syndrome does have a cure. RdKryton raised his sagging pipe to allow fitting of a rear drop stand. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he slightly elongated the holes on the exhaust manifold to allow it to pivot slightly. Then he took the bracket that anchors the exhaust pipe and relocated it from the chainstay to the seat stay. The result is shown below:

Attachments

• !cid_098131822@27052008-0BD2.jpg
    !cid_098131822@27052008-0BD2.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
I Could Try That...

It's an improvement over the "droops" anyway!

What about cutting the pipe somewhere after the header bend and welding on a section of flexible exhaust tubing (a la Duesenberg), allowing a more radical upswing?

HAL

Hey Newport:

You've got the fatter NE-R tires and a Tach, but not Disc Brakes...is your
Whizzer a hybrid model? That doesn't look like my cylinder head either...

I like the side-by-side dual exhausts!

HAL

Back