Upswept Exhaust Pipe:

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Hal the Elder, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Look at the picture in my recent "Photo Of Those Elusive Handlebars" thread:

That Montana Whizzer (with those gorgeous handlebars) has an UPSWEPT exhaust, where mine droops, which is uncool!

I remember the high school kids in the early 1950's with their Whizzers...some had DUAL pipes from a split header, with 45 degree upsweeps, with the exhaust exits at about seat level!

These were really Kustom Whizzers!

Anyway, I'd like to change mine to look like that Montana Whizzer...if I could get the pipe bent, I could easily make a bracket to clamp it to the new position.

HAL

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009

2. NEWPORTWHIZZER

NEWPORTWHIZZER New Member

Here's a dual up swing exhaust I built.

3. NEWPORTWHIZZER

I'll try attaching the file this time

4. NEWPORTWHIZZER

and again

Attached Files:

5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hal, this drooping pipe syndrome does have a cure. RdKryton raised his sagging pipe to allow fitting of a rear drop stand. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he slightly elongated the holes on the exhaust manifold to allow it to pivot slightly. Then he took the bracket that anchors the exhaust pipe and relocated it from the chainstay to the seat stay. The result is shown below:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

I Could Try That...

It's an improvement over the "droops" anyway!

What about cutting the pipe somewhere after the header bend and welding on a section of flexible exhaust tubing (a la Duesenberg), allowing a more radical upswing?

HAL

7. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Newport Whizzer:

That looks like a custom fabrication! No muffler inserts, I assume?

HAL

8. NEWPORTWHIZZER

yes that is a custom exhaust I fabricated out of stainless steel. It is straight pipes not muffler

9. NEWPORTWHIZZER

Here is another one of my stainless dual pipes. This one has muffler inserts

Attached Files:

10. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Newport:

You've got the fatter NE-R tires and a Tach, but not Disc Brakes...is your
    Whizzer a hybrid model? That doesn't look like my cylinder head either...

I like the side-by-side dual exhausts!

HAL

11. NEWPORTWHIZZER

They are the hookworm tires with some old sun rims that are wider than stock. The bike is a custom built bobber.

12. mabman

mabman Member

That is some serious nice work. :smoking:hot

13. frenchlayer

frenchlayer Member

I just got the hookworms on mine as well, they are very nice

14. ren

ren Guest

Tires and rims

Hello Newportwhizzer, awsome bike! That exhaust is really cool, would love to have one. Did you have to make modifications to the bike to get the wider rims and tires to fit? Could you provide some links to them?

Thanks

Randy

15. NEWPORTWHIZZER

Hi all,

Thank's for all the great comments. The wheels I am running with the Hookworms are a sun fat albert, unfortunately they discontinued the rim. Felt bicycles has a rim that is the same width and a very similar profile that I have been tempted to try. As far as the fitment goes they were tight on the bike. I had to rais the fenders a hair and shim the wheel a little to. You will have to check your frame clearance at the front of the rear tire, some bikes have a good gap and some are very tight with the stock tires (evidently there was two different jigs where the bikes were manufactured). If you have the larger gap you will only have to do minor changes.
    There is another tire that is 26x2.6 and looks like the old brick tire that a guy brought in yesterday but for the life of me I can't remember the manufacture. I will try to get some info on those in the next few days.

Ryan

16. NEWPORTWHIZZER

17. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Ryan,

Lookin' good.

Like the black cylinder, and is that a "weber" head?
    Hope you got it all working well together.

Have fun,

18. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Now it's time for Cosmetic Mod #2!

I've got my Riser Bars, now for that upswept exhaust pipe like the one on Gary Breylinger's legendary Montana Whizzer! (His bike is what encouraged me to look for those elusive Riser Handlebars)

I plan to cut my pipe at about the locaton of the pedal crank bottom bracket (shown), and get a piece of 1-1/4" flexible pipe to join the 2 pieces with stainless radiator hose clamps.

Then I'll reattach the muffler end from the chainstay to the seatstay, providing me with an upswept pipe!

What do you think?

HAL

Attached Files:

19. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Reading through all the older posts ...those are some nice looking pipes.

20. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Does anyone know where I can get an exhaust for an H model like the one in post no.9

Thanks