Use Seafoam

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Al.Fisherman, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Now that my break in is done, I'm planing to use SeaFoam as I do in my boat. This cleans carbon from the cylinder among other things. I belong to a fishing forum and I'd venture to say 80% of the folks that have outboards..2 and 4 cycle, use it (there are other brands). It will also help in removing moisture in the fuel caused by E-10 fuel. For my bike I premix fuel into a gas container and will add 1oz/gal every month. SeaFoam cleans out carbs so they don't gum up. 16oz run about $10.00 and can be gotten at many auto parts stores (I know Advance has it and they sell it like hotcakes here) and just about any marina. SeaFoan does NOT replace any oil in premix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I had a little missing going on with my R/S
    wasn't the plug
    SeaFoam seemed to pick THINGS up !!
    I had heard so much about it here on site
    thought that I would give it a try -- seems to be a good buy
    MM

3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I use Seafoam as well, in my boats, & other engines. Just remember how SMALL these bike engines are, & to dilute it accordingly. I have found that on my 2 cycle engines, that just a few drops per gallon of mixture has kept the motors [ carburetors ] clean & running good.

4. radrob

radrob Member

we sell it at parts plus for $6.50 i will give it a try!!

5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I should go down to Mission Beach or the O.B. pier and get some of the real stuff!
    All kidding aside, I have heard good word about this stuff for a while.
    That and Marvel Mystery oil.

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

tough THING for Mountainman

that's also what I have been thinking
    but
    yesterday after noon I was at an auto parts store -- Kragan
    the guy working there says that he pours a whole bottle into his
    big Honda motor cycle THING
    and it doesn't hurt to use large amounts in anyTHING
    goes against what the mountain Lady tells me
    everyTHING in moderation

it's a tough THING to do at times for the Mountainman

7. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

I'm having a stumble at the top end of my R/S, wants to cut out till I back off the throttle. Going to my local Auto Zone for the seafoam and I'll pick up a plug to try first. I think I read somewhere to wait a day or so for determative result. Good enough for the MM good enough for me.

8. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Is there a consensus on what amount of Seafoam should be used on say..... a 35cc 4 stroke?

9. Al.Fisherman

The size of the engine should be of no consequence..the interval of use should. The mix ratio IN the fuel should be 1oz to 1 gallon. One of the most important things is that in addition to decarbing a engine SeaFoam will keep water/moisture from building up in the fuel tank. Thus there won't be any or little gathering in the carb bowl. Also if you are one that doesn't burn up a tank (weather in your tank or fuel container) at least every 2 months you should really use a stabilizer. The gas today is chit and has a shelf life of a couple months (ethanol), where as straight gasoline a year or more. Gas....water...don't mix.

10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Most fuels sold today contain up to 10% ethanol (at least around here), which pretty much eliminates the need for "dry gas" - which is just ethanol or methanol. The alcohol will attract and hold water in suspension until burned. Problem is that in a vented fuel system, the ethanol can draw moisture from the air, and may attract so much over time that the ethanol and water will separate from the gasoline. This leaves the gas/oil mixture on top, and the ethanol/water mixture at the bottom of the tank. (ouch)

11. Al.Fisherman

Which will now gather in the bottom of the carb bowl. As the bowl rusts from the moisture the fuel filter is of no use. In fact you will introduce or can introduce more containments into the carb then you would using 100% gas and no filter.
    E-10 is a major issue with boats, it is so bad that sometimes the fuel separators (looks like a oil filter) we use can't keep up with the moisture problem. Another issue is that E-10 will and can eat up cheap fuel line hose (wonder what the Chinese use). One of the first things I did was to change my fuel line hose to a known not effected hose.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

" To each their own, but I wouldn't do that !"
    To me, it is much like " pain killers." Let's see,,, one a day works good, so I'll bet 8 a day works even better !

13. Al.Fisherman

Correct, besides if the manufacture recommends a 1:128 ratio, why go to those extremes. In LARGE outboard engines you don't use that much. Just a waste of money not to mention the amount of smoke it would put out.

14. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Also remember that Sea Foam contains powerful solvents (to clean), and while the brew does contain oil, too much of it could break down or dilute the lubrication in a two stroke engine.

I pretty much stay away from additives, except for fuel stabilizer. All of my power equipment gets stored properly, so carburetor deposits are not a problem.

15. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I kinda failing to see why I need SeaFoam in a well maintained two stroke, but whatever floats your bowl.

I am curious as to the chemistry and how it helps with hygroscopic EtOH/fuel/oil mixes. Can someone explain this in detail? I have some guesses, but does SeaFoam say, or is there a technical link?

16. Al.Fisherman

17. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Yep, the 10% " crapahol " gas can be blamed on many engine problems, 2 && 4 stroke. I have seen these problems in everything from weedeaters, to boat motors, to larger trucks. I am to get a lawnmower this week & from the owner's description of the problem, I KNOW it is water in the fuel system.
    I made this post a little while back that is worthy of reading to everyone .

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21943&highlight=89+octane

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  18. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Oh, I have NO doubt ethanol in gasoline can and does cause problems. How does Seafoam help?

19. Al.Fisherman

From their site...
    As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.
    There are other brands that will give the same results. Some will work more on the water problem, but in the small tanks we use SeaFoam accomplishes the job at a fair price. Advance Auto has it for $10.00 and the 16 oz can will treat at least 16 gals if used as recommended. 16 gals X 100 MPG equates to 1,600 miles. How long does it take for you to travel 1,000 or more? Cheap insurance I'd say.

20. jg767

jg767 Member

Maybe you only need to worry about steel tanks. Most Japanese 2-strokes used plastic tanks. I am concerned about rubber parts in the carb, like diaphrams and o-rings, though. Can Seafoam protect them?