Users guide on how to burn down a subaru

Did someone ruin their little mini monster engine?

1. neglect maintenence
2. grope around for old fuel
3. drive it til the fuel filter clogs
4. then drive it some more
5. when it loses power, Success!

Did someone ruin their little mini monster engine? I guess that receipe could go for a two-stroke too and we have to remember to mix oil or it will be a fast 30 seconds til someting gives... and usually it's not pretty. :sick:

1. neglect maintenence
2. grope around for old fuel
3. drive it til the fuel filter clogs
4. then drive it some more
5. when it loses power, Success!

I accidentally ran my first eho35 w/out oil the first 3 runs @ about 10 minutes each.... it still runs like a champ and starts up second pull every time to this day.

I cant imagine what you did to that poor thing.

That Honda was amazing!
They did everything you should not do to an engine, short of filling it up with battery acid, and made it scream it's guts out the whole time and it still lasted 2 days.
That engine had a whole lot of life left in it, until those college kids came along.

Since an EH035 has roller bearings on the rod and for the main bearings, as long as there is a LITTLE oil present in the bearings there will be little if any damage done if there is no oil in the crankcase.

No so with a plain bearing engine such as the Honda GX50. Plain bearings are fine and long lasting (and are actually more power efficient than roller bearings), but they will not tolerate a lack of oil.

My knowledge of this is third-hand, but I heard of someone who was out in the backwoods in a Jeep. His struck a rock with the oil pan and he lost the oil. He managed to drive a plug he whittled from a stick into the hole but had no oil, and he filled the crankcase with water from a stream. From what oil was left in the filter and such along with the water provided enough lubrication to get him out.

That is quite possible, Silvair. While still doing a great injustice to the engine, it will help relieve some of the friction induced heat and let the engine run longer before completely seizing due to bearing failure. The engine will still be ruined, but you at least have a chance of driving back to civilization.
In a pinch, I would do it. It's better than becoming a meal for a back woods critter.

In a pinch, I would do it. It's better than becoming a meal for a back woods critter.

it would have to be a pretty desperate situation for me to do that kind of damage intentionally to my engine... ie snake bite or heart attack

Any good over lander takes adequate supplies to meet the needs any situation might demand. That usually includes oil and other fluids, but should most definitely include supplies and tools to last a week.... more than enough time to reach civilization and get back with the right parts.

I know the more inexperienced would just do what it takes to get out, but you make more work for yourself in the long run.... engines and labor are not cheap and losing the extra money would be hard to deal with afterward. Much harder than the hike to get out IMO.

I agree with you, vtec.
"In a pinch", would be a do or die situation. To use an old addage: Pinched between a rock and a hard place.
As I said, "It's better than becoming a meal for a back woods critter."

Back