Usery Pass Loop

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by lennyharp, Jun 17, 2008.

1. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Here are some photos of a trip I took this morning from 6:30 to 9:00 that covered about 41 miles. I did not start the motor up for the first 7 miles as I was with a bike riding buddy. At that time I took off to try a loop I had done for years as a bike racer.

I live at about 1200 feet elevation and the first 12 miles may rise to 1300 feet. Then for the next 6 miles it climbs pretty steady to 2115, never very steep but I pedaled most of that to keep rpm up. Later there would be rolling terrain with intermittent climbs and one 1/2 mile steep climb, before the ride gradually descending on home.

These photos give a sampling of the beauty that I love in my area. I have been a lot of fine places in California, Colorado, Utah, West Virginia, France, Germany and Brazil but none pleases me more than this area just out side of my home. You all probably have similar thoughts of your favorite riding areas.

I am very pleased with my bike and motor and drive system. They all work well together and each part seems to do it's job well. I max out at 23 or 24 miles per hour as a rule. Since Arizona gives us to 20 mph as legal this is ok for me.

Attached Files:

• up1.jpg
      up1.jpg
      File size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • up2.jpg
      up2.jpg
      File size:
      116 KB
      Views:
    • up3.jpg
      up3.jpg
      File size:
      120.2 KB
      Views:
    • up4.jpg
      up4.jpg
      File size:
      149.3 KB
      Views:
    • up5.jpg
      up5.jpg
      File size:
      119.8 KB
      Views:
    • up6.jpg
      up6.jpg
      File size:
      133.8 KB
      Views:
    • up7.jpg
      up7.jpg
      File size:
      139.5 KB
      Views:
    • up8.jpg
      up8.jpg
      File size:
      153 KB
      Views:
    • up9.jpg
      up9.jpg
      File size:
      106.1 KB
      Views:

2. loquin

loquin Active Member

Nice pictures, Lenny. I've always liked Usery Pass. (I'm sitting at work, looking out the window at McDowell Mountain (Red Mountain.)

3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi lenny; great pics. what kit are you on?

4. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I have a Staton drive for a Roberts Subaru 33.5 cc with a frame I brazed of Cro Moly to hold it all together on a racing MTB bike from the 1998 era. I grin a lot as I ride and it feels real stable at speed. After all it is built to go fast and handle good and made from quality materials.

Attached Files:

5. datz510

datz510 Member

Hey Lenny!

Driving home from work today, I was thinking about running Usery Pass on my bike. Glad to see you got out there to test the bike out. Let me know if you want to try it again sometime. Unfortunately, the only mornings I could do are on weekends.

6. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

datz510,

Let's go at night. If we go at 6PM we can get it done by dark I think. I am working till next week now so that is best I can do. I will just have to get a bright light set up going now. More gadgets, I love it.:)

7. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice pics lenny...I love the desert:D

8. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Bill,

If I can make Usery Pass I can make it over to Fountain Hills. Lets us get together and ride. There are at least half a dozen Phoenix area posters; loquin, datz510, azbill and myself all here and ready to ride. For the right ride I might get a Saturday off. You can ride any day right Bill?

9. loquin

loquin Active Member

Lenny,

I've attached a map of the area in question, for others' reference.

That loop would make a great East Valley MB.c rally, especially when the weather gets cooler - Say, in the October time-frame, on a Saturday morning... :grin: We should try to put one together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  10. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Lou,

The map helps see the loop area, which is about 20 miles long. Just south of McKellips is Brown road and then Adobe or 8th st. I took them out, but even McDowell works to get to Ellsworth. The direction I took is the easier way to do the loop. There are more steep places to climb going out Bush Highway to Ellsworth / Usery Pass rd. As a test of equipment and rider it is a great area. We need to get planning on an October gathering out here. The Park at the top of Usery Pass is a gathering point except for the cost to get in. There are a few large parking lots along Power Rd & McKellips to start/stop also. Maybe we can get Spunout to ride up from Tucson.

11. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I thought I would put a photo of me and my bike to show how old and fat I am. This is a doable ride for most people.

Attached Files:

• lbt2.jpg
      lbt2.jpg
      File size:
      205.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Zev0

Zev0 Member

WOW, I would love to participate, but alas. the bike is my ONLY means of transport and I live in the 16st/Camelback area of Phoenix. It would be quite a journey for me to just get to your starting point. If I had a truck or car, I'd be there in a minute.

13. loquin

loquin Active Member

Yeah - probably a start point around Brown/Power, east to Ellsworth, North to the Bush Highway, SW to Power, S to Brown? Maybe meeting at the high school just east of Brown/Power?

(BTW - added a larger map, above)

14. Marktur

Marktur Member

Man, I'm jealous...looks like a fantastic ride!
    Funny, everyone takes their own area for granted...I think Large saw my pics from last weekend's beach trip, and said something like "Wow, the beach is beautiful, and I have to look at are these mountains.." This is from a guy out in the Denver area??

We are so lucky to live in this big beautiful country! My wife keeps saying she wants to go to Europe, and I keep asking her "WHY???" There's so much here that we haven't seen... from Tropical, to Deserts, to Mountain ranges and everything in between...

Wait, I think I hear "God Bless America" playing on the radio in my head ;)

There's some guys either building or waiting for ordered kits in the Palm Beach area now...hopefully we can all get together, too.

(On a side note, today it was raining since 3:00 on...and I had my wife pick me up from work. Man, I really look forward to the ride to and from work each day. Ain't that something? What a DE-Stresser my Blue Dog is! Better than a shot or a glass of wine for sure.)

15. loquin

loquin Active Member

Zev - keep 'thinking them positive waves' - maybe we could coordinate a Phoenix-east Mesa car pool by then ...

(with appologies to Donald Sutherland, aka Oddball, in Kelly's Heroes)

Attached Files:

16. azbill

azbill Active Member

I have done the FH to saguaro lake (beeline hwy-bush hwy) run before, so I know those hills are doable
    did a 10 mile run earlier today (113) and the face of my speedo went black from the heat :lol:
    goin for my nightly run now :D:D:D

17. spunout

spunout Member

i got your PM, BTW. the truth is, i am leaving tucson. moving :arrow: for the east coast at the end of july.
    HOWEVER: i have something in the works, just waiting to hear back from involved parties. i'll know more in a day or so. if that doesnt pan out, i have a back-up plan.
    as soon as theres anything concrete, i'll post it in 'Lets Ride!'

you wear a speedo on your face? KEWL! wait. no, thats not what....:p:lol::p:lol::p:lol:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  18. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I usually ride 16 miles each way to work. This morning at 6AM after a 12 hour shift I was riding home and at ASU where I could turn east to get home I decided to extend my ride. I filled up with gas and rode an extra 70 minutes going out to Falcon Field before going home. Who says this sport is not a workout. I was pretty tired by the time I got home. I want to work up to 100 miles at a strech. I have a 84 oz tank on order and that may get me a 100miler on 1 fill.

Ultimately I want to be able to ride to Tucson, Flagstaff, California, New Mexico and wherever. The Usery Pass loop is just a beginning test. A question that may need to be asked elsewhere is what are the best motors for this type of extended riding? Does it mater if it is 2 or 4 cycle small or large?

19. datz510

datz510 Member

I'm planning on getting a heavy duty bike rack for my car by then.. I'd be willing to help shuttle those that need it in the phoenix area to and from a MBc run on the east side. It'd be worth the few dollars in fuel to get everyone together!

BTW, Lenny and I had a nice ride last night. I put 30 miles on my HT in the process. In just a couple of months riding, I'm already nearing the 300 mile mark.

I'd be interested in trying some off-road rides as well once I get some better air filtration on my HT engine.. such as Four Peaks/El Oso road off of Hwy 87 up to the top of the mountain ridge (6,000 ft elevation). It'd be around a 25 mile ride one-way. Would definitely need some torque to get up the grades and a good spring seat on that one.

20. Marktur

Marktur Member

Come pick me up, too! :)