Using premium fuel??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by crazee, Sep 24, 2008.

1. crazee

crazee New Member

Can I use premium gas in my China made 2 stroke...Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using higher octane fuel...New to motorbiking and just trying to feel my way along. Thanks

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

there was a discussion on this a while back. it seems most agree that with such low compression 87 octane is best. while at bonneville augi used 110 mix and after the trials were over a man from salt lake told us he thought augi should have stayed with 87.
  3. Merlin

Merlin New Member

My Zbox instructions say to use 91 octane, and not the 10% ethanol blend.
  4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Waste of money. I use 85 octane with 10% ethanol blended fuel.
  5. terrence

terrence Member

I use 87 octane with 1 cup of seafoam per gallon. Varoom, varoom :grin:

Attached Files:

6. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

G'day man & welcome to MBc.
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

my spects call only for a 87 regular

Ride That Thing - Mountainman
  8. alex

alex Guest

9. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Yea! you could be wasting like a whole quarter with every tank! :shock:
    Wow! that adds up to almost $10 per year! :rolleyes:
  10. Skyliner70cc

And that 10 bucks is kept in my pocket and one of the many reasons why I am not an average american with 9,800 dollars in credit card debt. I have none.

10 bucks is more than most folks make in an hour and is an amount that should not be laughed out. The journey to retiring rich begins with a penny.
  11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Argue all you like. Being Brothers, I give it to you striaght.

I removed my base gasket (between jug and lower end) on my HT. This lowered CC's but upped compression drastically. Caution don't do this as a performance mod unless you can read a micrometer and know your head and plug won't be smashed by your piston!

I followed all instructions on many links(to avoid DMV Nazi's) in NYS... I wanted my bike quiet!!! Fin spacers, packed exaust,clutch plate cardboard,ect. The one thing that made a real difference is I put 93 octane in the bike. It ran smoother, COOLER and quieter than ever...

I can't believe the difference it made. My motor is newer with higher compression than normal.

On an older motor I'd say stick with lower octane. Lower octane burns hotter, wasting energy(by not requiring higher compression), it also makes the motor easier to start. Mine runs great on 93. If you live somewhere hot, run 93 or better. Your motor (car or HT) will run cooler.

In Buffalo, winter, I run 87 for easy start and 93 in summer for cooler run.
  12. andrewdavis19

andrewdavis19 Member

I always run super/premium. Have since day one. Most of the time it's 10% ethanol, but meh. It's the closest service station.
  13. Skyliner70cc

High octane gas does not make the engine run cooler..that is silly. It does allow the engine to tolerate higher temperatures better.